black widow 15's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jay, Oct 19, 2000.

1. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    I am thinking about getting two Peavey black widow 15 inch speakers and making my own cab...then I want to plug 'em through the crossover on my Peavey TNT til I get a good head. I only play small time for now, so I don't need a lot. I was wondering what ya'll knew about black widows and if you had any advice for me about them. Thanks.
  2. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    In my guitar life I played for awhile with a bass player who used a homemade cabinet with a 15" Black Widow.He paired it with a Warwick 4x10 and ran then both with an Eden Traveller amp.Personally I thought the 15 was pretty lame.I guess it was ok for the money. He seemed to do a good job putting it together but it sounded inferior to just about any quality factory 1x15 I've heard.
    He thought it was a pretty good rig.Then one day he showed up at one of my Bass gigs and sat in for a couple of tunes. I've got an Eden amp too with an Eden D410XLT and he was dumbfounded at how much better my Eden 410 sounded than his two cabinet rig.The difference was huge.The moral of the story is you get what you pay for.
    So, if the budget is tight..there's nothing wrong with a homemade. But if you can afford a factory unit I think it will be worth the money.You don't have to buy an Eden.A Peavey factory unit would be a big step up from homemade.
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Peavey Black Widows are fine speakers. I've had a few cabs with BW's and never had a problem with them, and I always liked their performance.

Also, you will still need another power-amp to bi-amp with your TNT. You can run one half of your bi-amped signal from the TNT's crossover back into the TNT's power section (power amp in), but you will still need to amplify the other half of the signal from the crossover.
  4. bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    No matter what anyone one tells you, you can't knock Peavey as far as durability. I've heard better sounds come out of a Peavy rig than those costing 2 or 3 times as much. If your setup is going to take some abuse Peavey is the way to go.
  5. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    I had a peavey 15" BW mounted in the factory cab which
    can be bought cheap these days for 5 years, and only had to
    buy a basket kit once. The thing to look out for is some of them are 4ohm and some are rated at 8ohm.
    You will want to make sure extention cab is matched up with what you already
    have or one will always be louder than the other.
    I think they will handle just as much abuse as EV's (electro voice)
    My only complaint about peavey is the new digital line of amps. They lack balls and burnout under pressure.
  6. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    I totally agree with the durability of Peavey; nothing outlasts them. Another question about BW's though, how much would a factory cab cost with two BW 15"'s? I don't know anyplace that sells them around here. Also, what would make a good combo with them? I not rich, so I won't be able to afford too much. Any ideas?
  7. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    You could check the local pawn shop or ebay, sometime
    I see empty cabs there. You might want to run a single
    15" bw cab and keep the other speaker for a back up.
    I used a single for along time and it was plenty loud
    for most gigs. I used a Peavey mark IV which I wish I never
    sold because my 300 watt DPB (digital powered bass)head just got smoked. I'm begining to not like digital amps.
  8. Sturdy baskets, so so sound. Good if reconed with high end components. Some sound companies buy them solely for this.