Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

black widows (not the spiders)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basstark, Sep 16, 2004.

1. basstark

basstark

Jun 6, 2004
    hey everyone who has ears for a new thread. i just bought an old sunn cab that has two 15" black widows. there is no model on them and they dont say the impedance. i know peavey makes widows with 8 and 4 ohms. but does anyone know how i can figure out what these particuliars are? wouldnt want to ruin me head or me speakers. the fellow who sold them to me didnt know too much bout them so i thought talkbass folk might. later my comrades in musichood.

2. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    You could buy a $10-15 multimeter from radioshack or similar, just set it to resistance and put the leads on your speaker, if it says around 4 and up it's probably an 8 ohm model, 2-4 and it's a 4 ohm model.

3. basstark

basstark

Jun 6, 2004
    thanks i may have to do that. its funny how since i've gotten more into sound, i spend more time researching than playing. thats the price to pay for those times money cant buy.

4. Check the Peavey website, I recall seeing a chart listing their model numbers and cross referenced by impedance.