Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BLACkBALLED?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by pkr2, Sep 6, 2001.

1. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Can anyone explain why some of the posts have a black ball on the yellow envelope at the left side of the list of subjects? My old post in classified/DB/ wanted is an example of what I'm talking about.

Tnx, Pkr2

2. It means that you upset Paul with your thread.

If you get 5 or more you get booted.

:D

Just kidding it means you have posted in the thread.

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    From what I can deduce, there are 4 types of envelope icons:

1) Envelope with letter showing - threads with posts NOT read

2) Envelope closed - thread with all posts READ

3) Envelope with black ball - thread you have posted in before

4) Envelope with black ball and radiating lines - thread you have posted in more than once before

As far as I can make out the above is correct.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Wow. I had no idea about the radiating lines....you learn something new every day. :cool:

EDIT: Wait a minute, I take that back...I posted more than once in the "Attention: Be veeeewwwwy quiet" thread, and yet there are no radiating lines around the black ball.

A most mysterious business, Watson...a most mysterious business indeed.

5. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I think radiating lines indicates that a thread has reached a certain number of replies or views (guessing 50 and 300 respectively).

6. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001
    Dear P!ss Sh!tz-Feral (sorry, had to try do some Fuquaism ;) ),

Did you refresh the screen?

I am fairly sure that my deductions are correct. The other possibility is that the envelope with radiating lines are for threads with many posts...

7. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001
    Not really - on my screen, I see radiating lines with thread with only 30 posts.

On the other hand, I have posted 3 times in this thread, and there are NO radiating lines... mmm... strange...

I was wrong with my radiating lines idea...

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    GUTTERBASS,

What do you mean by, "did I refresh the screen?"

DURRL

9. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001
    I apologise for "guttering" your name. :)

I thought that maybe you did not refresh the screen and had an old pic next to the message.

Anyway, I was wrong with my theory - there are no radiating lines with this thread despite my multiple posts here. It seems erik II may be correct. It may be for threads with a certain number of posts...

It's a nice detective mystery...

10. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Yes, but do those threads also have less than 300 views? In that case I am wrong, at least regarding the specific numbers (I was just guessing).

Edit: Didn't see your last answer before posting this. :)

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Never, NEVER apologize for "guttering" my name. I love it when someone comes up with a good new one. My favorites so far are, in order:
    1) FSCOTCHTAPE (jazzbo)
    2) MISS TITSWOBBLED (*tones*)
    3) CHRIS' SH*TIZFERAL (um, can't remember...anybody wanna take credit for that one?)

Anyway, a new zinger every so often makes BBS life interesting. Do your worst. :cool:

DURRL

12. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The black ball, without radiating lines was there before I posted this, my second post in this thread.

You're first theory may be right. If I suddenly disappear, you'll know where I've gone. I've got two on DB and at least one on BG.

Maybe if I E-mail Paul with an apology......

Anyway, I'm glad we got this cleared up. :p

13. Also if you create the tread you get a black ball, because you created you posted. . .black ball.

I think the radiating lines are from the envelope not the ball.

I would write to paul just to make sure you don't gett booted either way. :D

14. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    Alternative theories:
    1) An envelope with radiating lines means the thread stinks! :eek:
    2) Radiating lines from a black ball means the thread is a hot potato!

(Jeez, that was silly. I'm off the case... :D )

BTW: I knew I had seen something about those radiating envelopes before...; it is on the bottom of each forums main page.

NOW I'm off!

15. It's not mentioned at all in the Moderator's Final Exam, or the Guide Book

16. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    It's not in Computers For Dummies either.
    I even asked Jeeves and he didn't know.

Maybe there are some things we just aren't meant to know.:)

Pkr2

17. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I thought the black dot was the signifier for a poll. Everytime I start a new thread I get "blackballed" though I see the majority of other non-poll threads don't have one. Perhaps I should feel special???

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the black dot means it's a thread you've participated in before, either you've started it, or else you've posted in it.

19. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Bingo! I believe you've got it ,JT.

If I understand you correctly, I can see the black ball on my posts but no one else can. Right?

I'm going to start a new thread with a test just to see if I get blackballed on it.

Pkr2

20. Chris and I knew that, Turner. We were just holding off to see if you'd come back and try to throw your weight around, like we were rookies or something.