Blackbird Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aquinas, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Aquinas

Mar 16, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    There's a chain where I live called Mars Music, they're going out of business and selling things off really cheap. At one they have a Nikki Six Sig. Blackbird bass for $641, list is like $2700. I've always wanted a thunderbird but i've never played one of the blackbirds. Is anyone out there that has one and could give me their thoughts on it?
  2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've never played a Blackbird, but I own a regular Thunderbird. Great bass, but very neck heavy. That is a good price they have. Try it and see if you like it, but take a strap so you can see how much neck dive there is.
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Terrible neckdive/balance, and very bland, muddy tone. The two I've seen have both had mediocre frets and glue around the inlays. One of them had a visible wood joint in the back with a finish mar around it. And they still sound bad.

However, if you like it, buy it.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A wee bit too "Spinal Tap-y" for me, thank you...
  5. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I highly doubt Mars is going out of business... they're bigger than Guitar Center if my knowledge serves me correctly..
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Aquinas lives in Australia, though, so they be shutting down the store(s) down there. I didn't even know they had stores down there, if it's the same chain.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A$641?!?! Isn't that like US$29.95? ;)
  8. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have played one and it is the biggest piece of crap Gibson ever put out. J.M.H.O
    Save your money and buy a real one in my opinion.
    I did, and the difference in tone and construction and paint is unbelievable!

I just bought this on used!

The real ones are just a superior bass and you can find a used one like I did for around 800 bucks...
    I'm not sure if I'm a T-Bird kinda guy so I'm not sure if I'm keeping her yet.
    If I decide to get rid of it I'll post it here before the bay.
    Good Luck on the Nikki but I bet if ya hold out one of them can be had for 500 bucks used!!!
  9. Aquinas

Mar 16, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    $641 US actaully, It could be they're just shutting a few of the stores down, anyway, that's suprising that there is such a difference between the regular t-birds and the blackbirds. One of the countermen said they'll probably get desperate to sell it just before they close so maybe i'll comeback later, they were saying they'd probably take it down to 300 (US) or so. Then I might just buy it for metal times. Stick to my Carvin for the rest.
  10. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Actually, they're closing several stores here in the US as well. They may not be going out of business, but they're definitely downsizing.
  11. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    There's only a couple but a couple I couldn't live with out.
    There is only a volume control on the sixx so you can't get any of the tones you can get out of a real one except for full on or full off.
    There's Vol,Vol,Tone on th real one.
    The feel of it was a little cheesy and the finish was terrible.
    Just few things but hey to each there own for a little over 600 buicks you can have a real Gibson so I guess that's a good deal.
    I just did'nt like it!