1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blackle - Energy Saving Google

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sonic_Death, Jul 26, 2007.

1. http://blackle.com/

Somebody please tell me that this is not truly going to help the environment :eyebrow:

2. I like it!! It's easier on my eyeballs :eek: I've gone Blackle and I'm not going backle. :p

3. That's not the kind of response I wanted :scowl:

I simply don't believe it.

Just lowering the brightness on your monitor should help dramatically compared to a Blackle search engine.

4. This is the same reason I like to wear sunglasses. To help save the environment.

5. well theoretically it should sence black is the absence of light so eh

6. But your monitor is still producing the black, it is not like the black when you turn OFF the monitor.

7. Sorry. I will go back to my bright white screen. :spit:

8. but it takes less energy to produce black

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ROFL.

if you think that hundreds of millions of folks hit google's main page all the time, even if 1/2 a watt is saved each hit, that adds up pretty quick to a lot.

10. Yes it is, your monitor does not produce black.

11. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    What's your problem with it? You're just trying to keep the Black Google down.

Fight The Power (drain)!

12. I agree!! I just like the black background. I have my CAD/CAM sofware set up the same way.

13. I am pretty sure if you are using an LCD monitor that it will still be using the backlight and not really saving much energy.

I think I have just unintentionally converted many people. Oh well, if it helps that is fine, and admittedly, black is my favorite colour. We'll see :eyebrow:

14. :ninja: ((que Flavor flav)):ninja:

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hmm. that would be true at least with lcds - the back light is going to be on all the time. with crt's, though, the energy expenditure might be lower.

16. Turn you AC and fridge up on high to balance things out :D

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    It beats plaidickle I guess.

18. I think they have that in Scotland.

19. I think it's kinda cool. Easier on the eyes.

If it helps conserve energy, it's a perk. I'm a convert!!!