Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blackout 2003

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Fred W, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    What a day to play in the subway! We quit just before 4 pm and I hopped the D train to the Bronx, where I park my car at the end of the line.We arrived at 155th St (last stop in Manhattan) the doors opened and then the lights went out. As I was headed to the end of the line I stayed in the car until we heard " it's citywide!".Went upstairs to see scores of cops on 8th Ave but they were there for the famous Rucker basketball tourney across the street. They didn't know much but we all heard the latest word of the extent of the blackout to Canada, detroit and more. Still All I could think is how was I gonna make my 730 big band hit in Briarcliff, up in Westchester. I ended up walking across MaCombs Dam bridge to the Bronx, to the Concourse, where the few buses running were packed to the gills. I had no chance with the bass. I was hoping some musician in an SUV or something would take pity and lift me to my car, but alas. I ended up getting a livery car to my car in the north Bronx. Actually I was lucky. What are the odds the power going out just when we stopped at the station? A young woman who shared the car had been stranded in a tunnel herself and I was thankful I didn't have to carry my bass in those conditions.Plus if we played any longer I would have been stranded at 59th street, at least 15 miles from my car. I'd still be walking.
    I wonder if any of my NY DB brethren got stuck in the subway with their axe? There's always a few in the system at any given time, I'd like to hear who else had an experience yesterday. Cleveland, Toronto, wassup?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i can't get a hold of our main office on broadway. as long as they are safe, i'm not too worried

3. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    Fred

I'm not from NYC. What's a livery?

Good that you are safe. Did the evening gig happen? It's nice to be reminded that acoustic instruments do transcend technology.

4. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    A livery car is a cab without a meter, they are pro hibited from picking up hails on the steet. Only the yellow cabs with medallions are allowed that, but the rule is ignored because medallion cabs won't go above 96th st ( into Harlem )and they don't cruise the outer boroughs. They are all Lincoln Town Cars. I drive a 91 and have people waving at me all the time. Musicans that live in the city don't all have cars so they rely on the commodius trunks to get the gear to gigs.
    The big band gig was cancelled. We could have have played but I guess they didn't want to play by ear!

5. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca
    I guess that works both ways (above/below 96th).
    I had a ride up to a club in Harlem to hear a friend of mine play. When I left to go to my gig in Manhattan, no cabbies would go. Finally i paid one double fare so he could dead-head back.

6. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    What're ya'll doin' in NY Tex?

7. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca

it was some time ago and I was actually working out of San Francisco. I'll tell you this. It's a lot better to be invited to play in NYC, than to try to make it as a resident. I tried that too. Hat's off to y'all that live and work in NYC, it's a brutal league, even w/o a blackout.