1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blackout Effectors Demo vids

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bigchiefbc, May 6, 2010.

1. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Kyle from Blackout was nice enough to let me borrow a couple of his pedals to try them out and I ended up making a couple demos. I hope they're helpful.

Musket:

2. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Great vids, man! I've been waiting to hear the Musket V2 and now GAS is setting in. If you gave them back to him, you're a better man than me. :bag:

The mids in that new Musket is something I've been looking for...and it smells like a shopping day tomorrow. Kudos on your demo style...your speech has "attitude" and since I originally grew up in the North East, it's something I totally dig. :D

3. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Sexual chocolate.

4. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Sexual Chocolate, indeed. :bassist:

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    Nice vids! I really liked the Mantra, From what I hear in your vid it is a step up from the HAO Rust Ride, and I love the RR so...

I liked the Musket too but I have too many bigmuffs to get real gas for one.

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    The Mantra sounds good! And I like your Rage playing :D

7. bigchiefbc

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, I avoided giving my opinions on the pedals in the demo, because I was trying to keep them to a reasonable length.

The Musket is amazing. It has everything I ever liked about but solves every problem I ever had with Big Muffs. It took a lot of strength for me to not spend 10 minutes gushing about it.

The Mantra is a very cool beast. It's really high gain for an overdrive, and if you're looking for that transparent "just a bit of hair" kind of overdrive, this isn't it. It sounds like an amp that's getting pounded, on any setting. There isn't any diode clipping in it, it's just cascading transistor stages, which I dig. The bass knob a lot of range; you really don't have to worry about blending this bad boy.

Yes, very, very hard to send back.

8. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Is the pedal touch sensitive a la SFT?

9. bigchiefbc

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    It is, particularly if you roll your volume knob back a bit. But no matter what, it is still higher gain than the SFT I found. It also seemed to clean up better when using a passive bass. Unfortunately, I only had an active with me the night I recorded this.

10. jrmy

jrmy

Dec 19, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Really sweet demo, BigChief! Yeah, the Musket sounded awesome! Now I understand the big deal... this is the first time I've GASed for a Muff variant since I parted ways with my green Russian Muff years and years ago. I believe that has officially made the list.

And the Mantra sounded great - I definitely want to try one with a passive. I like really gain-y drives, though, so it seems right up my alley no matter what. And the bass response was pretty amazing. Good stuff!

11. great reviews, bigchief. I've been searching for a video demo of the musket, and it sounded pretty good!

12. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Great demos! I was going to put up a bass demo of the musket but you beat me to it. :cool:

Do you play team fortress? You sound a bit like the Scout.

13. bigchiefbc

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I'm sure people wouldn't complain if there was another Musket demo around :) :bassist:

Nope, not really a gamer at all.

14. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Would have liked to hear some fingers in there instead of a pick at some point. May have to make my own Musket vid I guess :) Mantra sounds great, I'm definitely gonna have to check that one out.

15. bigchiefbc

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Sorry, I only play pick. I'm an admitted one-trick pony there. I've tried for years to learn how, and I have accepted that I just suck at playing fingerstyle. :scowl:

16. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I'm pretty much useless with a pick, although I'd love to be able to get some of the sounds that Josh and Nate Newton (of Every Time I Die and Converge, respectively) got on their most recent albums.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Pinkerton reference FTW!

18. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I'm tired... So tired...

Seriously, I am tired of wondering what that musket sounds like, so thanks for putting this one up. :)

19. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    So... is anyone else aware that Valerus put a video up of him playing through a Musket a year ago? It was what convinced me to buy.

20. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    I sir, was not, but I am glad to finally know what voice I should associate with his posts ;)