1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blackout Effectors Mantra Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sound Chaser, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Well, my Musket has pretty much made me obsessed with this company. So, I've been checking every day to hear what the new Mantra effect was going to be. I was expecting delay or tremolo or something, given the name, but an overdrive is cool too. I'm just wondering if it'll be any good for bass. Not really digging the tone on the video that much, but it sounds really bassy, so who knows it might sound better for us.

http://blackouteffectors.com/site/?page_id=1543

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    it sounds to me like their take on the SFT, especially with him demoing it thru a VT-40

3. It looks and sounds cool to me. I wonder how much $$.

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    The circuit sounds extremely similar to the SFT.

5. kismet78

kismet78

Nov 18, 2007
    Vancouver
    Nah, we love Nic and the c-bread guys, but not so much that we'd want to pay homage to their stuff. Similar eq section if I had to guess, but I'm not familiar with the rest of the SFT circuit.

The VT-40 was a recent pawnshop find.

We do have some bass vids in the works, so hopefully within the next couple of weeks...

6. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I just bought a fix'd fuzz today, so my interest in BE is growing. Hopefully the bass videos are good :bassist:

7. kismet78

kismet78

Nov 18, 2007
    Vancouver
    If I'm playing in them they won't be. Thankfully, we know people.

8. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
  9. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    The price is pretty much the same and the layout looks similar too...I still can't take the sft off my hitlist though.

10. kismet78

kismet78

Nov 18, 2007
    Vancouver
  11. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    check out the SFT for sure. it rocks

12. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY

13. kismet78

kismet78

Nov 18, 2007
    Vancouver
    OK fellers, I just recorded a few quick direct audio clips. I AM a gui****. I'll mess around with mic'ing up something more substantial than direct-in sometime this week.

Bottom of the Mantra page here:
    http://blackouteffectors.com/site/?page_id=1543

14. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Nice Kyle, your graphics are definitely the Sh!#, it's tempting for sure.

15. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Sounds pretty awesome.

16. kismet78

kismet78

Nov 18, 2007
    Vancouver
    Cheers. It has heaps of lowend, if you want it. For those clips I never had the bass control past 12-1 oclock.

17. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I've got one, and I'm gonna be demo'ing it in the next few days. Just playing around with a crappy p-bass copy and a guitar amp, I can already tell you guys that this thing has TONS of low-end. Almost too much. I liked it best when the bass control was 1-2:00. Be forewarned that this thing is quite high gain for an overdrive. Even with gain all the way down, this is not gonna get you that "slight bit of hair" overdrive. It still sounds like a cranked amp.

18. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I got my hands on one, for me it sounds a tad too high gained and compressed.

But if you set it on the lowest gain, bass 3oclock, treble 11. You nail tim commerford's sound on cochise