1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blackstar FLY3 w/extension cab vs Roland Micro Cube Bass RX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pcake, May 5, 2017.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'm looking for something that sounds good quiet (no low B needed) that's light and small and battery powered. i don't need to play gigs with it, jam with guitar or drums and i won't be using it with headphones. i'm looking for a low volume practice amp that i can take to the park.

i've played the micro cube RX, and i quite liked it. but i'm also intrigueed by the FLY3 with the little extension cab. it looks like fun and it's less than half the price of the micro cube RX. but most of the demos have a mic right against the speakers, so proximity effect makes it sound bassier, but i won't be using it with a mic against the speakers. the rest of the demos make the FLY3 sound thin and quiet, but since their voices in those recordings also sound thin and quiet, part of the problem could be their recordings.

and there are very few youtube vids of the FLY3 with the cab.

so has anyone here tried both? if so, what are your impressions? or if anyone has the FLY3 with the extension cab, what's it like? i'm not expecting it to sound like my LH500 with a 12" cab - just decent quiet sound with a little bass.

thoughts?

2. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have the Fly 3 and was wondering the same thing. What makes the Fly 3 work IMO is the compression (which beefs up teh tone but also squashes considerably, not my thing) and the sub octave. It distorts quite nicely. For practicing around the house and say, have someone sing along without a mike, it is wonderfully big sounding for its tiny size and non-weight.. Extension "cab" definitely is an improvement, I'd say necessary add-on. I've taken it on trips to practice in hotel rooms etc. Was in an old train station 2 weeks ago with it that had a 100% wood panelled and wood-floored old-skool waiting room without any furniture and it kicked ass there. Outside, less so.

I would love to know if the Roland is substantially louder.

3. Sizzler

Sizzler

Oct 12, 2017
    I'm in the same boat. I would like to play along with my acoustic guitar playing friends from time to time and I don't know whether I should buy a Blackstar Fly 3 bass pack or a Roland Micro Cube Mini Bass RX. I would love to hear from someone who has tried both. I can get a second hand Roland for about the price of a new Blackstar pack right now but don't know which one choose. @theretheyare Do you think the fly 3 pack is loud enough for campfire jams?

4. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have both now. If youre just mumbling along an acoustioc guitar it will be fine in a quiet open air environment. However, if you can get one for the price of a new Blackstar, get the cube, you'll get considerably bigger tone and volume out of it. The thing with the bass cube is, for its size it's kinda heavy. If you going to take it from your car and let it sit at the campfire when you play, its perfect. If you want something that you can stick into a back pack and walk around for miles, or stick into a suitcase because you're travelling regularly and want to practice in your hotel room, get the Blackstar because it weighs next to nothing, and its way less bulky

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    pcake likes this.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Perhaps another contender:

Thunder Bass_Hotone

Cabinet_Hotone

The problem with these type of amps is that they can be hissy. In general, you get what you pay for. The Roland is a nice amp with a proven track record. Maybe it is more amp than you want.

When auditioning any of them, listen for noise at the level and tone settings that you will be playing at. Remember, outside you might want the volume level set higher than what you would normally use when inside.

6. Sizzler

Sizzler

Oct 12, 2017
    Thanks @theretheyare !! I just picked up a Roland Micro Cube mini RX and it's great. You are right, it's not the type of thing you want to be stuffing in a backpack and into suitcases but it is perfect for when me and my friends are sitting around outside and we drag the instruments out with us. :D I love the features on it. The drum machine, the line in, tuner...all great. You do have to tinker around with it a bit to get a good sound out of it but I'm not doing studio sessions with it so it's great for what it's being used for.

pcake likes this.
  7. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I like the SVT setting (I think it’s called the Concert 810) with a little drive....