1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blackstar FLY3 w/extension cab vs Roland Micro Cube Bass RX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pcake, May 5, 2017.

1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'm looking for something that sounds good quiet (no low B needed) that's light and small and battery powered. i don't need to play gigs with it, jam with guitar or drums and i won't be using it with headphones. i'm looking for a low volume practice amp that i can take to the park.

i've played the micro cube RX, and i quite liked it. but i'm also intrigueed by the FLY3 with the little extension cab. it looks like fun and it's less than half the price of the micro cube RX. but most of the demos have a mic right against the speakers, so proximity effect makes it sound bassier, but i won't be using it with a mic against the speakers. the rest of the demos make the FLY3 sound thin and quiet, but since their voices in those recordings also sound thin and quiet, part of the problem could be their recordings.

and there are very few youtube vids of the FLY3 with the cab.

so has anyone here tried both? if so, what are your impressions? or if anyone has the FLY3 with the extension cab, what's it like? i'm not expecting it to sound like my LH500 with a 12" cab - just decent quiet sound with a little bass.

thoughts?

2. theretheyare

theretheyare Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have the Fly 3 and was wondering the same thing. What makes the Fly 3 work IMO is the compression (which beefs up teh tone but also squashes considerably, not my thing) and the sub octave. It distorts quite nicely. For practicing around the house and say, have someone sing along without a mike, it is wonderfully big sounding for its tiny size and non-weight.. Extension "cab" definitely is an improvement, I'd say necessary add-on. I've taken it on trips to practice in hotel rooms etc. Was in an old train station 2 weeks ago with it that had a 100% wood panelled and wood-floored old-skool waiting room without any furniture and it kicked ass there. Outside, less so.

I would love to know if the Roland is substantially louder.