1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blacktop Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cyberbowser, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Cyberbowser

Cyberbowser

Mar 22, 2013
    I've been thinking about my next bass and I've started looking at the Blacktop Jazz. I have an MIM Jazz V that I love to death and I've thought of getting a P but I don't like the P sound as much. I'm thinking the Blacktop Jazz might give me a bit of both sounds. Anyone played or own one of these?

2. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I had one, it is a little darker than a P. A very solid rock tone I loved the tone and regret getting rid of it. I might get another one down the road

3. Cyberbowser

Cyberbowser

Mar 22, 2013
    I should mention my band plays some harder rock covers but not insanely heavy, metallica, twisted sister, green day, ramones, judas priest, quiet riot, etc. I love the J because a lot of songs like metal health and we're not gonna take it use the full range of the bass and it just sings in that context.

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I finally got to try one out a few months ago. To properly evaluate it, I first grabbed a Squier Affinity, similar to one I had a ways back. I plugged it in and gave it a whirl to re-familiarize myself with the sound I was used to. Then I plugged the Blacktop Jazz in…and Holy Crap! That thing was an absolute cannon!!

Personally, I go for a more aggressive sound. Not a lot of distortion or effects, just a deep rumble with a bit of bit mixed in. That Jazz delivered! I've since decided that, should I ever get into a "playing rock live in front of people" situation, it's the one I want.

There's a Blacktop Club somewhere around here. Look it up and hear what their owners have to say.