Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BlackWidow

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, May 20, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    What do you guys think of the Black Widow 15 speaker? Not the cabs it comes in or anything like that, just the speaker by itself. I really like it, but I've noticed it seems to get alot more highs than most 15s, but doesnt really get as much lows. It sounds kinda like my 4x10.

2. good description, I don't like them personally, had them in a cab blew one and replaced both with a set of JBL's they got the lows I liked, only down side is that they added about 120 pounds to the cab.

BW aren't a bad speaker, I just didn't enjoy them.

3. I just bought a used MusicNan 1-15 scoop with a BW 15. I recorded today with it. I powered it with a Bassman 135 tube head. What a killer sound!. My key player said they come 3 ways, Bass, Guitar, and PA/General purpose. The baskets/voice coil can be interchanged on one magnet/frame.

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Yeah its pretty bizare because I think alot of my low slam is coming from my 10s, where as alot of the mids are coming from the 15, and I bought each to do the exact opposite. O well, alone they are ok, but together they are a force to be reckoned with!

The thing that gets me is that the Combo 300 has a BW and it gets ALOT of lows! Maybe the cab is tuned different, I almost like those old combo 300s better than my stack....... pretty scarey! They just aren't loud enough.

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I honestly love the BW 15"'s... But that's just me. I like it much more than any 15"'s I've played. (ampeg, crate, fender, genz benz, etc etc)

But that's just me. They get a full sound, not as much just lows, but a fair amount of highs and mids too. Overall they're great speakers. I use mine with my 410TXF so they all equal out. They get a really good sound, I'm considering droppign to 410TXF out of it, and adding another 115BXBW cab.

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think peavey makes a 2x15 cab

7. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I've had two rigs with BW 15s now, and I really like them.

I think impregnating the cone with Kevlar provides additional stiffness that crisps up the sound, without making it too harsh like aluminum-cone speakers (to my ear, anyway)

Don't know what you mean about it not being deep enough. I've got one loaded in a 115 BX cab and it's plenty deep.

You comment about the Combo 300 (now the Combo 115) may be s clue. It may have to do with the cab you're using. Speakers are typically designed by the manufacturers to be used with specific cab designs(in the case of the Peavey Black Widow, the Combo 115 and the 115 BX) -- if you use them in a different cab they can sound fundamentally different.

8. None of the Black Widow 15" hold much interest for me as a 5-string player because they are down -10 dB between 31 and 41 Hz. However, the 1504-DT4 model can provide flat response down to 31 Hz in 6.71 cubic feet (awfully large cabinet) when a 2nd order EQ is employed .

I can't find any published SPL specs for the Black Widows, which makes it difficult to consider them. Their Xmax values are all very short compared to other drivers, so I suspect they aren't capable of large cone excursions and making a lot of noise. They require cabinet volumes of 4.5 to 6.75 cubic feet, so using several drivers will require LOTS of cabinet space.

The 18" drivers have better specs, but require mammoth cabinet volumes.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    They don't currently make a 2x15, Although I believe at one point in time they did.

10. I use a 410 TX, the old model and a 115 BX BW. Other than from the horn on the 4x10, my 15 gives more highs. I get plenty of lows but find the 15 very boomy. It lacks "tightness" and clarity.

The 4x10 is VERY "scooped". Very few mid tones.

Changing amps from a Peavey Mk V111 where the bottom end was so boomy it was almost unuseable to a Trace V-Type preamp and a Crest V1100 poweramp has improved matters.

The Peavey cabs have proved to be very reliable. I've blown the horn diaphragm once in the 4x10. No problems at all with the 15. I gig 2 to 3 times a week, predominantly upright, some electric, in a loud rockabilly band.