Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blackwood tone signature (?)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by umberto, Nov 23, 2004.

1. umberto

umberto

Jun 10, 2004
    What kind of tone signature has african blackwood? Does it enphasises lows midrange or upper treble or...? I've never tried it and dunno where I can find a piece of advice concerning it.

2. I think it'd probably be helpful to know the context. Are you talking about a top on an electric instrument? A fretboard? Back and sides on an acoustic instrument?

The only real descriptions I've heard of blackwood have been acoustic back and sides, and in that setting, most folks seem to think it's similar to koa, which is a little brighter and "airier" than mahogany but not so bright as maple.

Mike

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    :cool:

4. Ah, you're absolutely right about African! I was thinking of Tasmanian Blackwood, which is a totally different thing, and more widely used. So, forget whatever I said. :rolleyes:

Mike

5. umberto

umberto

Jun 10, 2004
    I've checked out the great part of the web sites concerning tonewoods... well... to tell the truth just one of these talks about different kind of wood s tone signature but nothing has been said regarding african blackwood...
    I'm very curious.

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...