1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blade basses from the 90's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willieG, Oct 2, 2008.

1. willieG

willieG

Feb 10, 2003
    Japan
    Some guys asked me for some pics of my Blade basses.....so here they are.

Would be glad to answer any questions....

Willie G

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Where did you find the middle one?

3. willieG

willieG

Feb 10, 2003
    Japan
    Blade precision bass..1992.

4. LCMBassist

LCMBassist

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    Very nice basses. When I met Yolanda Charles she was using one....she said 'here, feel the weight of this!'. It must have weighed half as much again as my Spector, if not more. Sounded awesome though!

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    strike 2

I still have my Blade. Great basses.

6. willieG

willieG

Feb 10, 2003
    Japan
    Blade precision 1990
    Blade Jazz bass 1992
    Blade Jass bass fretless 1994

7. willieG

willieG

Feb 10, 2003
    Japan
    This bass is light with a great neck.......jazz neck.

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Bravo...it worked:hyper:

I've talked to the lads at Levinson Guitars up the road from me. Nice guys.

I had the chance to grab a B-2 last year and I was set to swap the electronis for the new preamps they use. MY wife steeped in and put a stop to it by showing me the money and a Sadowsky was had instead.

A couple of Fenders went out the door. The Blade, and old P Bass and the Sadowsky remain.

Really like Blades.

9. willieG

willieG

Feb 10, 2003
    Japan
    Sweet and sweet.......

10. willieG

willieG

Feb 10, 2003
    Japan
    I won't trade this for a Sadowsky.....sings like a bird.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Nice basses, Willie. Really nice.

I don't know the full story on Levinson in the past 10-15 years. I know Gary Levinson came to Switzerland from the States and was luthier over here. He, like Mike Lull and Roger Sadowsky, started building his own line of hotrodded Fender guitars and basses. The instruments from the 80's and 90's are highly regarded over here. They are very decent instruments.

I could be worng, but I think he stopped building basses for a while and struck a deal with a plant in China to build neck and bodies for the B1 Tetra. These parts were sent to Japan for assembly. The B2, being of a higher standard, is totally manufactured and assembled in Japan. Both lines are shipped to Basel, Switzerland for final set up and shipment.

I have a B1. I sold two MIJ Fender Jazzes and kept the Blade. The neck is thinner than a Geddy Lee. The bass on its own sounds thin. I use a Sadowsky floor preamp that completely fattens it right up.

The ones you have a rare and hard to come by. They're gorgeous.

Nice to see Blade's pop up on TB from time to time. Not well known in North America, although they are increasingly popular in western Canada. They don't have a strong marketing presence.

Thanks again for starting the thread. Nice gear ya got there.