Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blade Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Didn't find too much on a search, but I hope this isn't wasting bandwidth. Just picked up a used Blade 4 string J type (it was the one with the rounder crowns, for those that responded to my "fret crown" thread). Anyway, i used it on a gig, and it played and sounded great. The preamp (I prefer passive, but this sounded good) had a nice mid-bump switch on the front that was nice for solos. Emailed Blade and they sent me a diagram for the preamp in 12 hours. Pretty flexible, and very solid bass...I was quite impressed. Anybody else tried these basses?

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Marcus.....

pics??

Lee

ever get anywhere on the search for the best B string?

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I picked one up in March of this year. I just love the bass. It is a subtle love affair. Sure, it's a jazz clone, but it's a very well made clone. The neck is very well finished. The frets are great. The finish on the neck is supurb. Quite honestly, it's the closest I have come to my old 66 Jazz that I foolishly sold years ago.

I have used the preamp only once in a solo, forgeting every time that it has that feature. I run mine through a Sadowsky floor preamp.

They're located not too far from here. They're very prompt respondingto emails.

It's a really nice bass. I take it your have the Tetra Standard?

www.bladeguitars.com

4. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Yeah, I forgot about the rules....

[​IMG]

Like bmc said, it's a jazz clone, but a good one. Neck feels nice and slim, and the fretwork is superb. Plays like butta. Been wanting a 4 for some of the jazz gigs I'm doing lately. Blowin' through changes is a lot easier with this thing; though I can't blame the bass if it sucks anymore... ;)

As far as I can tell, it's a B2 Tetra model from the early 90's or so.

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    You have the more deluxe version than mine.

I haven't written anything about hese basses, mostly because they're not the current rage, receiving 5-6 different posts a day. I've been playing 34 years and have held a few basses in that time. I have two other basses right now, but the one I reach for all the time is the Blade. There's nothing fancy about it. The pickups aren't of any recognizable brand. It's not a flashy jazz copy. What I do find is that it is a very very close copy of an old jazz bass. I just love the tone out of this thing. Like you Marcus, I play jazz with it. I roll the balance forward and get a nice warm tone. Roll the balance back and I get a nice growly tone off the bridge pickup.
    I generally don't practice. I play when I have a gig. No time. However, since buying this bass, I have been so inspried to play it all the time. There is something very subtle about the neck shape that I can't nail down when comparing to my jazz or other jazzes recently. It is an honest to gawd "plays like butter" neck. No more gas, boys and girls.

Marcus...I'm actually happy to read someone else has discovered these great basses. It appears that their guitars are used by some accomplished players.

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Blade is cool in my book. Their guitars are supposed to be excellent and I really like the way they look, so I'm sure their basses, too, are quality instruments. I'd love to get my hands on one of their Jazzes sometime.

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    If you are near Basel, there is a shop that usually has 5-6 in stock. Send an email to Christian at Bladeguitars and he can direct you to a dealer in Germany.