1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blade basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassflute, May 31, 2007.

1. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Blade basses...

Blade basses...

Blade basses...

Unbelievable. I haven't liked Fender's since the early 80's. Left them behind a LONG time ago. Sadowsky's are OK, but about 6x overpriced. Musicman...yawn, give me a break. I play MTD's now, and 6 strings, never thought I'd like a Fender-type bass again. Or pretty much ANY bass again. Foderas don't impress me; Alembics, nahhh... Zon - yawn...

And Ken Smith's such a d*** I won't ever play one of those things. Ever. Yuck! Ptooey!

Sold my beautiful Pedulla hexabuzz, sold my lovely Kinal 6 string neck through, sold everything else to buy one more MTD.

But...

Blade basses...

Just played one of their Jazz basses, picked it up at my friends Barry's music shop, not expecting much, if anything; yeah, yeah, another el-cheapo Fender copy, yawn; woopee-ding! It's only got 21 frets; 4 strings... a (gasp) PICKGUARD!!!! Oh, man, this is gonna suck. I don't want to hurt Barry's feelings, but... So I tried a few notes acoustically... wait a minute here! This thing's alive... sounds really good. Acoustically. Plucked a few open strings, back by the bridge. I know from owning 20 odd instruments over the years (including old Fenders), and sweating through the construction of 3 custom made neck-through basses costing thousands of dollars each, I know now that this is a rare and a beautiful thing. A bass that goes...

Bingggggggggggggggggggggg.

You can walk through rows and rows of basses at the NAMM show, as I have done (twice), and I know that this is a rare and delightful thing. Happens once in a blue moon. Happens often at the MTD booth; happens very rarely, if ever, everywhere else.

Nice crispy overtones. Sustain. Light. Punchy. Clear. Strong attack, strong sustain. Bingggggggggggggg. You can feel the body resonate. You can feel the pluck, the initial impact. The neck and the body vibrate as one.

I gotta try this thing; plugged it in and... holy s***, man; no kidding... bass nirvana! Better than any Fender I have ever played, even the much-over-hyped vintage stuff. Really nice, ultra-conservative instrument; superb electronics. One of the nicest basses I have ever played. I liked it better than any of the Sadowsky stuff, and for a fraction of the price.

I am really impressed with these basses, and I am NOT easily impressed these days (MTD!!!), esp with something that appears to be just another Fender copy.

They're NOT just another copy.

You've got to try these things... no kidding. No pomp; no pretentiousness; no BS, no stratospheric prices, just a really nice instrument; what a Fender should be, but never quite is, somehow.

Blade basses...

You heard it here first.

Blade basses...

from Switzerland...

Really good cheese.

Really good chocolate.

Really good watches.

Pretty blonde girls with really cute accents.

And now...

Really great basses, with no dead spots; and you can buy 4 or 5 of them for the price of one Sadowsky.

Is it an MTD?

No.

But for under $1,000.00, an amazing instrument. I can't say enough.

http://www.bladeguitars.com/

I don't work for them, nor do I sell anything. My friend Barry does, and I hope he sells 1,000,000 of them and retires a rich and happy man, having done the world a favour by selling such a wonderful instrument for such a good price.

I play bass, and have for a long, long time now. Most people now say I'm a great player. I don't know about that, but I do know you gotta try these Blade Bass things. No kidding. Since getting my MTD's, this is the first bass that has really impressed me. It's totally different, it's like what Fender tries to be, but better. Totally cool.

Sincerely,
    Cameron

2. So basically, all you're doing is plugging your friends basses while badmouthing others?

Reminds me of someone I once met-

Ed

Ed...

Ed something-....

Maybe someone can back me up on this?

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    +1! My Zon, for one, goes BINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

4. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Ya lost all credibility and respect from me right there. I'm sorry, but your attitude is quite on the negative side. Wait, no.......I'm not sorry.

5. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    burn!

6. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    There are flames.....and then there is burning down the flippin' house.

GM

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Blade are excellent basses. They are closer to vintage Jazz basses than Fender's offering.

I've ben struggling this week between getting a Sadowsky Metro or a new Blade B-2. I think I'm going to go with the Blade.

They're not available in the USA yet. You can get them in Canada. They're not cheap. Here in Europe, their B-2 Classic sells for USD 2,100.

The B-1 is the closest I have come to replicating my beloved 66 Jazz.

8. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    It never ceases to amaze me how someone can find a bass they reall like,and suddenly everything else is garbage.People like what they like,nothing more than that. I'm guess that these basses he's getting aroused over are probably no better made than anything else out there.He just likes them better. Given the length of the rant,It does smell a little like spam. Lets go to the friendly moderator for a call.

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    10000+

GM

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    It is a little over the top.

11. I like how you posted a 5 paragraph response which basically said what the OP did, but then when I refreshed- it was gone. :bag:

12. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    What's your point?

13. Just a little weird.

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Right.

15. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    IBTL, then. :D

16. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I would hope there's no lock.

It was an enthusiastic post but one I like reading about as these basses are rarely mentioned.

TB is a great venue for bass players to share their views and discoveries. Looking at the thread of all the different bass brands, I'm interested in learning about what else is out there beyond the same old same old.

There are a very few of us Blade owners on TB. I am in touch with their office in Basel and plan to visit soon, taking pictures and posting them here. They are negotiating with distributors in the states and may go the route of select stores to sell their basses. Guitars are their main focus. Gary Levinson, the guy behind Blade, has been hotrodding Fenders for 20 years. No different than Sadowsky or Lull. He stopped making basses for a while and launched the current line in 2000.

It's another bass line that's out there competing for our $$$.

17. I dunno............... Would you buy a bass from this guy?? :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    :D :D :D

Seems appropriate to get a comment on a "Blade" from a guy called Knifemaker, doesn't it? :D

Is that some sort of a karate chop? Maybe he's into spanking.

19. I always thought that Blade instruments were made in Australia...

20. Maybe that's a still shot from the sunday morning infomercial?? :confused:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021