Blade Runner Blues

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RyanJD, Jun 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa

Someone please tell me where I can find more of this style of rainy, moody, jazzy/bluesy and depressing music. Anything similar. Artists, records, compilations, soundtracks, etc.
    Please, I've fallen in love with this track.
    Also, I like the understated bass part here. Super simple and precise and it just fits.

Side note: Is anyone else ecstatic for Blade Runner 2049?
    Admittedly, the first time I watched the original was like two years ago. As a 23-year-old Sci-Fi fan, that's a sad statement. Worse yet, I fell asleep during the last third of the film! But the setting, the story and the acting have grown on me with additional viewings. I can see why it's so well-loved by Sci-Fi nerds the world over. It's just a great film. And I think it's held up fairly well with age. (With Back to the Future Part II being my main comparison here, lol.)
    With the cast of 2049, especially with Ford returning, I'm hoping for the best.

HeavyDuty and Indiedog like this.
  2. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Sort of a different thing, but still Vangelis: try the Antarctica soundtrack.

i too enjoy Blade Runner immensely and look forward to the new one.

RyanJD likes this.
  3. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Nice, I'll look into it!

I feel like I should share the original by Vangelis, for those who come across this thread and haven't heard it:

I just love the trumpet in the New American Orchesta's version I shared in the original post. Both are magical to me.

HeavyDuty, Oddly and Indiedog like this.
  4. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa
    That track (and entire soundtrack) is like no other that Vangelis did. But check out Direct, China, and the 1492 soundtrack.

RyanJD likes this.
  5. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    This stuff is great. Exactly what I was looking for.
    I hadn't thought to ask... Is there a name for this genre?

ShredderMaximus likes this.
  6. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa
    The industry name is New Age, but that covers such a wide gamut of music. For example, I wouldn't put the horrible stuff you hear at spas in the same category as Vangelis, Tangerine Dream or Jean-Michel Jarre.

RyanJD likes this.
  7. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    I became a fan of Vangelis when I was 12 and the series "Cosmos" came out, which was heavily scored by Vangelis. In my teen years, i bought the vinyl of every recording he ever made. Still have all of them but some are on CD and some are computer files.

My favorite Vangelis recording is "Opera Sauvage" followed by "Heaven and Hell".

Indiedog and RyanJD like this.
  8. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeppers!
    My favorite Vangelis too! And I too think Heaven & Hell is stellar (Check out the Jon Anderson vocal number)

Here is "Opera Sauvage"

And the Anderson piece from H & H:

RyanJD likes this.
  9. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Nothing like any of the other posts here but I love this soundtrack. This is Miles Davis and John Lee Hooker providing the soundtrack for an obscure Dennis Hopper movie called "Hotspot."

RyanJD likes this.
  10. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    "Albedo .39" is a fantastic album.

415.jpg

"Alpha" is one of his best known songs - it was used in the documentary "Cosmos" in the evolution sequence:

And "Pulstar".

RyanJD likes this.
  11. I think "dark jazz" is a common term for this style.

RyanJD likes this.
  12. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Possibly Kit Watkins' later work might fit your bill. His first 4 or 5 discs tend towards bright, sunny, rhythmic stuff but his newer titles are quite dark (One is even titled "Wet, Dark, and Low."

try this:

RyanJD and HeavyDuty like this.
  13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Central Texas
    I like. It reminds me of the glory days of Private Music and Celestial Starstreams.

MonetBass likes this.
  14. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    I'm not finding many results under that, or similar, terms. But it's definitely the right direction. Maybe it just doesn't have much of a following and/or it's more of an obscure sub-genre.
    Whatever the case, I've got this sudden urge to write and record some dark jazz...

15. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Ooh. I'm enjoying this.
    The element of ambient noise; a sustained synth... That seems to be a key component for this jazz noir sound.
    Good find!

Indiedog likes this.
  16. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive

Apr 23, 2014
    This does it for me :)

RyanJD likes this.
  17. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    That is why we come here; it is very cool to spread good music around.

Good Thread, RyanJD!

RyanJD likes this.
  18. RyanJD

RyanJD

Apr 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Thanks for moving the thread to the correct forum. I was debating between Recordings and Off-Topic when I posted...

19. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis

RyanJD likes this.