Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Blade" style polepiece Jazz pickup (bridge)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bholder, Sep 2, 2001.

1. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire, but not an "endorsing artist".* (see sig)
    Does anyone know where I can find a "blade" style polepiece Jazz bass pickup? I looked at the current DiMarzios and Seymour Duncans, no luck, but I could've sworn I've seen a stacked blade style J pickup from somebody at some point. This is for my musicmaster project, with the narrow string spacing, so it's probably not worth the cost of going active (EMG or Bart). The total string width is 2", so I don't think the standard spacing polepiece pickups will work very well, the E and G strings would hardly be over the pole pieces at all.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think that they are often reffered to as "Rail" pickups, which, might help you if you're searching the net....

3. [​IMG]
    Danelectro Lipstick pickup.

How's 'bout that? I'd do it. Hell, now that I just thought of it, I want to do it myself. :D

http://www.danelectro.com/

Chris

4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire, but not an "endorsing artist".* (see sig)
    Thanks, that'd certainly work, if I were trying to go even more retro, but I'm not; as I initially stated, I'm specifically looking for a blade/rail Jazz style pickup, preferably a stacked humbucker. I know they used to exist, I remember seeing them advertized.

I'll check out EMG and Bartolini, I know they both probably have something like this. (Was just hoping for a pointer to the ones I remember, which were probably DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan or something similar).

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'd check with Lace and Carvin. The Lace isn't a humbucker, but it's supposed to be pretty quiet. The Carvin H50 is a stacked humbucker, but on their website they don't say if it uses bar magnets or what. I think the EMG Select uses a ceramic bar magnet, but I'm not sure. All these folks will respond to e-mails.

6. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Try Joe Barden pickups. They make blade style pickups for Teles Strats etc. I believe they also make P and Jazz types.