Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blame tv/videos for violence in the U.S??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    To my surprise, I was watching the news about a you man who shot up a police station, and several officers while they were booking him, he managed to get loose and get a hold of one of the cops gun, and did the damage from there. After he was caught again and asked why he did what he did, he said it was because of a video game "Grand theft auto" in which a suspect pretty much goes after police officers.

This is one in many of instances I have read of, or seen in the news about people blamming a t.v show, or video game for influencing their criminal activities, to make this even more interesting, the cases are actually being taken on by Lawyers who are defending the people who commit the crimes, and trying to sue the video/t.v industries for x amount of dollars.

1: I personally dont by it, if you do the crime, you do the time, PERIOD! where do we draw the line for personal responsibility :meh:

2: Is it possible the Violent T.V/Videos really are contributing crime in the U.S? although I dont suport everything that the T.V/Video industry puts out, I still think we should hold each individual responsible, or am I just missing a bigger picture here.

3: Do other countries have this problem? :meh:

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Violent crime is down in the US, while Video games sales are higher than they ever were.

To paraphrase Mr. Townshend, if an ***hole blames video games for their actions, they're idiots and would have done it anyway.

I do think there are video games that are not appropriate for children, and there are plenty of games that take things too far. But they don't make me feel violent, they just make me shake my head at how needlessly ridiculous they are. I have complaints with the quality of some video games and how cheesy and stupid some of them are, but I don't think they're turning kids into killing machines.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 If someone is stupid enough to play a video game, watch a movie, or watch tv and then emulate whatever they see, then something else is wrong with them mentally, or someone screwed up royally in their upbringing. I remember one of those idiot kids that imitated a stunt on Jackass where you set yourself on fire. The father watched with his son, TOLD him not to do it, that they have fire retardent suits etc.. and the kid STILL did it.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    People will try anything to avoid taking responsibility for themselves

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Well a large portion of US violence comes from other countries... MS 13 for example.

6. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    plus one million.

It seems like people take advantage of anything as a scapegoat to avoid taking responsibility for themselves, like the "McDonalds made me fat" lawsuit.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had a hard time deciding how to answer this question. My knee jerk answer was no. After reading the question a couple times, and thinking about it, I am going to say yes to the question quoted above.

I would never blame a TV show or game for causing someone to do something illegal. The problem I see is how illegal/violent actions are often glorified in some TV shows and games. As an example, being violent or doing things illegal supposedly contributes to the "street cred" of a thug. Or even in the GTA games, you need to do bad stuff to "win". It contributes to the problem to an extent, but is never the reason or the thing to blame.

-Mike

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think they help reduce illegal activity. Its an outlet for some aggression. If kids cant beat up a gang member in a video game, what might they turn to in real life?

You'd be surprised how much illegal activity and probably drug use that video games prevent.

9. That's a pretty week defense, that all.

There was a comedian on HBO the other night, can't remember his name. guy from kids in the hall???

He brought up this same topic. Violence in TV and games.

His reply was,

[sarcastic tone] Yhea, it must be the video games....... What was that video game that Hitler used to play.....and oh yhea that guy that shot all those people from the bell tower in the 60's......[/sarcastic tone]

It kind of puts in perspective how long violent acts have been around, much longer than video games.

10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    "I'm gonna sue hustler fer givin' my wrist carpal tunnel" - Larry the Cable Guy

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    There's no excuse. Everyone...even the jerks know right from wrong.

However..people ARE to a great degree...especially in America...products of their environment and the environment is full of voilence. It's everywhere not just in video games and that certainly ain't helping the situation any.

Is it societal? Every house in Switzerland due to their military structure has a machine gun in it....Now imagine what the "F" would happen if you put a machine gun in every house in America....

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Listening to that makes me sick.

People are pathetic.

13. Speaking of Grand Theft Auto...Would anyone like some hot coffee? :p

14. 1.) Video games ARE an outlet. I know first hand. Whenever I have been VERY angry at something or someone, I may go on a rampage of monsters, or ninjas, or possibly innocent by-standers. If you can't find hitting people with your car hillarious, you take things way too seriously. Of course I think hitting someone with a car in real life isn't funny at all, but from an omniscient viewpoint, it is.

2.) Video games DO NOT create crime. I will even back this up to the extreme of Columbine. Would the instance of the game, Doom never existing have prevented the shootings? Possibly. But the kind of people that would mimic violence from video games are either already violent in nature, or literally and medically labeled, insane/mentally unstable. So in complete answer to that question: While it may have delayed the shootings, the shooting would have either taken place some time in the future, or the person(s) would commit some other crime.

3.) In response to figjam and Chunk-O-Funk, it isn't weak at all. Does anyone really realize how much time kids spend nowadays playing video games? I mean seriously, when I used to see those "My Anti-drug" commercials, I wondered why there wasn't a video game one. I EASILY spent 3 hours a day around video games or playing video games from age however young to 15. And honestly, if I want to be able to beat some insanely hard boss, I want to be sober.

4.) It's the parents. The game developers (In Japan or here or elsewhere) have NOTHING to do with the pre adolescents' to adolescents' ability to aquire mature-rated games. It's the same parents that are never home, usually get divorced, and don't discipline their kids--or rather, abuse them, sexually or not, that go out and buy these video games that (supposedly) only people 17 years or older persons can buy. I say supposedly because many stores sell these games without age verification. But again, this is the store's problem, not the developers' or the video game's.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I saw that video, man i found it hilarious but thats just me

16. Haha.

Speaking of which, this mod you can download (don't know where from; not something I care for) was made by some random gamer hacker, not the developers, but that doesn't stop Hillary from blaming the developers and making the game Adults Only, regardless of the fact that the explicit content wasn't even from the game itself, but of a mod that you have to take the initiative to download. :rolleyes:

17. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The simple answer is that we live in a society that glorifies violence, and "you are what you eat". That said, it won't get better people stop glorifying violence on the grass roots level. It's easy to blame the peddler, but who's the addict, after all?

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't think video games cause crime, but I have a funny story: A person my girlfriend works with got really drunk, and started walking home from the bar. It started downpouring, so he wanted to crash somewhere... anywhere. So, he wanders over to a campus building and finds a running campus delivery van. It's empty, running, and warm. So he gets in the back and lays down. After about 20 minutes, he decided to just drive the van home. So, he drives home, gets out of the car, wipes the steering wheel down to get rid of prints, then goes inside and plays "Grand Theft Auto" :D :D

He eventually sobered up, drove it back, but before he got their got pulled over.

19. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo VP, 1989

[​IMG]

I personally don't believe that violence in video games have anything at all to do with violence in life. If you have *that* much trouble distinguishing between some made-up character in a made up setting, and yourself in the real world, then you need some help. IMO, of course.

-Ray, avid "violent" game player since ~1996

20. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Exactly. When I was younger I may have spent my time stealing coins, eating mushrooms and jumping on turtles while trying to save the girl across the street from a bully who looked alot like a lizard, but it had nothing to do with super mario bros.