Blank Canvas

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kjbrowne, Jun 20, 2005.

1. kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Ok this is my first post. Im building my first bass(a warmoth) tele bass style with single coil p and j pickups. Nothing is set in stone on how it will be wired (other then there will be 3 holes in the control cavity, I can drill more)

What would be your perfect setup?

(series, parallel, bridge only, neck only anything else)

Trying to make my first and last bass(yea right)!

thanks for the ideas.
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

the perfect setup to me would be to design the control layout to maximize your options so you can change out whatever you need at any point without leaving holes in the bass. You can drill additional holes later but it's rough to undrill one. That ultimate layout being based on your needs and preference which only you know or can determine.

The size of the control bay is the biggest restriction to maximizing options. Small control bays are grief for stuffing more in them than they are desinged to accept. Large control bays on the other hand are a real plus cause you don't have to use it if you don't need it.

If you don't like stacked knobs, 3 potholes are probably not going to cut it. You can always come up with something useful for a single switch but if you put in two switches might one end up a dummy or can you come up with a use for it.

I personally would spend at minimum 75% of my time on the plan and what's left on the install.

In my experience, there is no perfect bass unless your musical taste is extremely limited or you play through rigging where everything sounds the same. There are however fun basses that are a joy to play everytime you pick them up.
  3. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Find the body style, neck width/taper/profile/feel/wood that you like and start from there. That's really the most important bit.

I agree with luknfur that the cavity should be as big as it can be to start with. What to put in it and what holes to drill will take some thinking once you come up with the final pickup config etc. You can always drill 6 (or whatever) pot holes and make it passive, using only 3 in a VVT, using dummy pots to fill the holes so you can add in a pre later. Or design it for 6 and only drill 3 now. Or use stacked pots, or.....

For the 'most flexible' pickup configs I'd probably get for myself;
    - double J at bridge and neck, both with SC/series HB /parallel HB switching.
    - or EMG 40TW's
    - or two Villexes

all setups with one of my own design preamps and a nice piezo system in the bridge, buffered well with a piezo/mag blend control.