1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blast cult

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Slap bass Lucas, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Slap bass Lucas

Slap bass Lucas

Oct 15, 2016
    Been waiting for mine since January. In August he said he was close to done. Anybody that has one know how long it takes to build... He hasn't got back to my emails over the last 2 months. Getting kind of nervous. Spent 5k on mine. And King had a bad reputation... So kind of nervous, giant had an upright in 2 years.

2. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    Good luck..Im in So Cal and word around the bass circle isn't good..
    Although the King fiasco was not his doing..

3. yousaiditman

yousaiditman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    Saw this and had to chime in on this thread..

Jason is a stand up guy.. no pun intended. I had to wait 6+ months for my One4Five and it came out killer. I've gone back to him for some minor issues, as well as getting my tail piece upgraded, and Jason has hooked me up every time. I'm in SoCal as well and he's always taken time out of his busy schedule to help me when I've dropped by the shop.

knumbskull likes this.
  4. Edsplosion

Edsplosion

Sep 12, 2016
    I've been waiting over a year for my Blast Cult. I was originally told 4 months. I've got the Blast Cult Australia guy (who seems like a stand up dude) trying to chase down Jason, but so far he's being evasive and not giving us any concrete details. I don't even really have proof my bass has even been started. I heard back in July or so it was 'nearly done'. I'm giving it till the new year then I guess I've got to see what I can do about getting the money back... sigh.

I wouldn't mind delays, even super long ones, if there was more communication. It's a huge chunk of change for me, and it's making me really anxious.

5. Edsplosion

Edsplosion

Sep 12, 2016
    What exactly is the word around the bass circle dude?

6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY

Standup guy or not you can't take people's money then ignore them. Unless the guy is sick or dying, there is no reason in this day and age that he can't shoot an email back to a customer. Especially if there is a legitimate reason for delays. Double bass is a small community, and most people would be pretty reasonable if the guy had some issues that were affecting his business. Once you take that kind of coin from someone in exchange for goods and services, you have an obligation to communicate with them.

Five grand is a ton of dough to have to sweat about.

7. yousaiditman

yousaiditman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    I'm certainly not discounting what others are saying on this thread, it's just contrary to my personal experience with Jason & BC. I've personally had nothing but good response and service from him both in person and through email/phone. I hope the other guys get a reply soon from Jason and get their instruments.

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  8. Slap bass Lucas

Slap bass Lucas

Oct 15, 2016
    Just got the skinny from Jason himself... Very understandable why he's behind, very serious family issues. But he's back to work now and he says mine will be done very soon

Groove Doctor likes this.
  9. Edsplosion

Edsplosion

Sep 12, 2016
    I had also heard he had some personal issues, which I totally understand. I just wish there was more open communication, and, after over a year of missed deadlines, a more concrete timeline.

Have you been given a definite ETA? I had just heard "soon" the last time I was contacted.

10. Slap bass Lucas

Slap bass Lucas

Oct 15, 2016
    Screenshot your email and pm it to me... I'll do the same

11. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Not a fan of Blast Cult.
    I had to spend a few hundred on mine to make it playable after I got it.
    Customer service was horrible. Very unresponsive. Everyone who I spoke to who worked there was an arrogant prick.

YMMV

12. Edsplosion

Edsplosion

Sep 12, 2016
    What did you need to get done to make it 'playable'?

13. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    When I first got it, there were low areas on the fingerboard that would choke out certain notes. Granted, I didn't buy it to slap, and maybe for that it would be fine But, the Fingerboard had to be dressed and then bridge and nut adjusted. After that it really plays and sounds great....even acoustically.
    Behold:

Seanto, BassJuju and sevenyearsdown like this.
  14. Ortsom

Ortsom Banned

Mar 23, 2016
    It sure sounds fine, but for $4-7k I would expect it to sound good and be set-up properly.

15. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Did you guys ever get your 145's or is BC gone?

16. Edsplosion

Edsplosion

Sep 12, 2016
    Not just yet. I was about to push forward with a refund or legal action, which I had been putting off because I'm not in the US and it seemed like it was going to be hugely difficult, when they got in regular contact with me a few months ago.

Jason provided me with an explanation for the delay that tracks (I won't go into details but it was very reasonable to me that this would cause significant delays). I am now being updated with pictures of my bass under construction every couple of weeks. Until I actually get it I can't be sure but I think everything is on the level at the moment.

But then again, maybe I'm just a huge sucker.

oysteivi likes this.
  17. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Really hope it all works out for you. And for BC.

Best thing about this bass is the bridge/pickup system

18. ERIC A

ERIC A Supporting Member

It sounds like the only way it makes sense to buy one of these basses is to live in the area where they're being made. I'm on the East Coast, so I have decided I won't even consider it.

19. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    So, anybody get their bass yet? I can't imagine waiting for over a year! Bless you guys, I would have gotten my money back and bought an old Kay by now.

20. Dave Hill

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Get it?!