Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blast from the er...past

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mingustoo, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Just thought some of you would get a kick out of seeing this ole amp i play on sometimes. Loud as......well, you know how loud it is.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ye-hah!
    glad i dont have to carry it ;)

3. I forgot to mention that the amp hadn't been used in six months since the last time I played it. When moving it, a rat the size of a size 12 sneaker came jumping out. PLayed great though (the amp, the rat sucked-couldn't keep time)

4. I hurt my back just looking at your rig. How heavy is it and what are the specs.

It looks like it could shift some serious air!

Regards

Matthew

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i used to have that same acoustic head. cool, haven't seen one of them in use in about 12 years :hyper:

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    When I looked at the picture, I actually missed my old Acoustic rig...for about three seconds. Then I thought back to the weight and portability issues, the low stage volume/ high audience volume...now I don't miss it, again.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I have that 2x15, but I never use it, I like my Sunn much much better. I've a B320 series head (for sale cough cough). I don't like it much though, I love tube amps, and a lil more wattage would be nice...but it's a good small/medium gig rig. :D. Glad you like yours!

Ray

8. I 2nd that :D But I still wish I had it for nostalgia's sake. I could have laid it down, put a glass slab on it and had a killer coffee table!!!

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    That's a 220 head and 406 cabinet right?

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Back in the mid '70s, I wanted an Acoustic 371 (370 head/301 cabinet) in the worst way. Alas, as a teenager I had no money... I really wanted a 450 and a 406 too...

Never owned any of them until about 5 years ago... They did sound good (the 371, the 361, and the 450 head). Lousy back has me down to lighter heads and 1x15 and 2x10 cabinets.

11. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I can't remember for sure what the model number on mine was. I think it was a 361. It was the enormous folded horn kind of cabinet with a rear-facing 18" speaker and the power amp down in the speaker cabinet. The 'amp head' was really just the preamp.

At least that is what I remember. But that was a long time ago and I may have had a few thousand beers since then. So don't laugh too loud if I said it wrong.

12. Actually, this time I let my dijeridoo player play through it. I played through my svt 200t (there's another one for you nostalgia buffs). I was a little sorry for making that move as he was sooooo loud! But with the 350 watt Acoustic and 2x15 and my 350 watt Ampeg and 1x18+1x10, ...we moved a little air that day. But a big difference in power or efficiency or something. The Acoustic volume was on about two and the volume on my Ampeg was pinned. I also played in a blues band that opened the show and put the harmonic-eye through the Acoustic-sounded great!

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Wanna know something...the Acoustic 220 head is rated just 125 watts RMS @5% THD into 4 ohms (160 watts RMS @ 5% THD into 2 ohms). 5% THD is pretty gritty...so really clean, it's putting out much less power.

The Acoustic 450 head that I had was the same way...I could barely turn up the volume at rehearsal without my bandmates whining... The 450 is 160 watts into 4 or 2 ohms and I was running it through a single 15 that has an 8 ohm voice coil.

LOUD AMPS those Acoustics!!! :bassist: :bassist:

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +1

Ray