Blast from the Past - Peavey TB Raxx tube preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Justice, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I had a gig the other night that was a chance to use my new bass rig (old one stolen) but my replacement preamp had not arrived (i liked my Behringer Bass Vamp Pro so i'm getting another)

Anyway, since i had cabs, cables and a poweramp, but still needed a preamp, I went to my stockpile and pulled out my old Peavey TB Raxx tube preamp. I have had this thing since it was new and it used to be the pre in one of my old bass rings. I fired it up and checked it out, still working, no noisey pots or anything like that. So i put everything in my new Pearson rack case and went to play.

rig sounded great, gig went well, got compliments on the sound of the new rig. I'm glad i never got rid of the old Peavey.

Now, this things got to be 15 years old. They only made them for 1 or 2 years. It has 2 tubes in it which as suppposed to be 12ax7's and are probably just plain generic tubes.

I'm thinking of replacing the tubes with a higher quality. Good idea? Suggestions for replacements?
  2. Check out JJ's ECC83s orECC 803 long plate(the long plates are supposed to be smoother sounding) at Eurotubes I have had very good results with dealing with them if you call and tell him what sound you are going for he will advise you and steer you in the right direction.
  3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Justice.

Have you registered your stolen rig with Screaming (Chris) Stone's web site (the link in my sig)?
  4. IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    Over 2 years ago lol.