1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blast from the past...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pflash4001, Mar 20, 2013.

1. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    My kids dug around the music room at my parents' house and dug up our old Tascam 424 and a bunch of old tapes...spent part of the afternoon listening to stuff we did. Some was awful, some pretty cool, all a learning experience...my kids (10 & 6) want me to teach them how to use it...anyone else have memories of those old cassette 4-tracks?

2. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I still own one.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I recorded literally thousands of hours with a friend of mine. The recordings are pretty uniformly awful, but they helped capture hundreds of original songs, some of which are pretty darn good.

4. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I was in a band in the early 80s and we bought a Fostex 4 track cassette recorder for $1,500 and we had to take out a loan to buy it. We were recording original material and all set to record an album and used it for the demo tracks. I still have some of the recordings. The machine is long gone.

5. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    I remember doing some recording on one of those in high school, we did some great takes & went to listen to it on the home stereo - everything was half speed & we couldnt figure out why, so we binned the whole thing - D'OH! If only we plugged the damn thing into the aux in on that stereo.

6. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Like I said, man, learning experiences...lol!

7. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I've got quite a lot of old cassette tapes I used for song ideas. I'm always surprised when I find a tape with an original idea and have no rememberance of playing what I came up with.

8. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I remember when I rented a 4 track recorder in the 80s. I was the most popular musician in the neighborhood for about one month.

9. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Did tons of demos with one they werent keepers but hella lot better than casettes.