1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

blaster beams?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by [CRTL+ALT+DEL], Mar 30, 2013.

1. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

[CRTL+ALT+DEL] mad scientist

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    anyone have more detailed info on blaster beams? i wanna build one

2. Auguste

Auguste

Apr 5, 2012
    Blaster beams ? ? ?

I don't know what they are

Are they made by ACME and used by Wiley Coyote on the Road Runner show?

Just having fun. :)

3. Hi.

Why not build a space elevator instead?

You could get funding on-line for that ;).

(Semi-)seriously though, are You looking for DIY plans for a focused EMP-pulse generator?

Why?
    To impair electronic devices on vehicles and mobile communications?

Regards
    Sam

4. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    no, silly dudes! this

i know it's not quite a bass in the sense of a 4 string. but it's long and has strings. and yes, i'm looking for diy plans. or at least more clear specifics on the instrument, like tuning, etc.

5. Hi.

In all fairness, if someone who's handle is soft-boot mentions blaster beams in a forum full of Sc-Fi nerds, THAT contraption is about the last thing in the world that comes to mind.
    Mine anyway.

That "invention" looks like an oversized lap steel or a tiny harp, played by banging a steel tube that's resting on the strings with a mallet.

Now don't get me wrong, I do love imaginative musical instruments, but anyone who's made their parents lose their temper by removing the upright pianos front string cover and banging on the exposed strings while not old enough to go to school, will tell You that it doesn't quite take an adult to come up with that sort of an idea :).

You can do that "blaster beam" thingy with any lapsteel, and THOSE are unbelievably easy to make.
    You tune it just as you would a lap steel (or pedal steel for that matter) to an open chord(s).

A lenght of 4" chromed tailpipe extension nick'd out of some tired, old, tuned up Toy-Joda would probably be all that's needed to complete the musical instrument.

Regards
    Sam

6. [CRTL+ALT+DEL]

May 25, 2008
    Brooklyn
    thats really not much off an answer. not trying to be a dick, but that's like

Q. "how do i make a cello"
    A. "just put some rubber bands on a cigar box, anyone can do that"

7. Buych778

Buych778

Jun 29, 2015
    I know this thread is quite old, but, I did learn how to make my own strings, which can be used for this. You need quite a bit of wire, preferably steel, a 6"x6"x15' board, a 1"x4"x6" board, 6 hinges, a 1' metal ruler, screws, a hand saw, a cordless drill, 3 2 1/2" long bolts, and 3 butterfly nuts and washers that match the bolts. The ruler must be cut in half and set aside. Make 9 strings that are somewhere a little longer than 14 feet long, all the same in length using this diagram: http://dennishavlena.com/make-stg.gif. Then for the most difficult part: making the frame. Take your large board and lay it down. The side facing up will now be referred to as the face, for reference. Take the hinges and screw them into the ends of the wood so that there are 3 on each side and all are on the edge bordering the ends and the face. The hinges should be able to hinge onto the face. Then, about 3 inches from each end, cut 1/2" down into the wood with a saw onto the face. Take each half of the ruler and place it in each channel. These will operate as the two bridges. Next, take each string and tie it through the screw holes in the hinges. Make sure each string has a different tension so there are multiple tones. The tone is not important, and doesn't need to be exact. Next, take your smaller board and screw it into one end of the large board so that it covers the hinges, but half of it hangs over the edge of the board. Drill three holes that will line up with the top edge of the hinges, one per hinge, and are large enough for your bolt to fit through. Take your bolt and washer and insert it so the bolt and washer catch on a hinge. Put the butterfly nut on the other end and tighten the nut to tighten the string tension. Experiment with string tensions and different methods of striking the strings. If the strings are not loud enough to hear, several solutions can be done:
    - Amplify it using a few guitar pickups and an amplifier (most expensive)
    - Slightly hollow out the body (most labour intensive and would be very, very difficult)
    - Attach an acoustic chamber (a large hollow box) to the side of the board and have a hole in it for the sound to escape (highly recommended)

8. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    You can shoot a ping pong ball through a soda can with nothing more than atmospheric pressure.

Ok, you need a vacuum pump and mylar film and the right size PVC pipe, but still...

-

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Why not just beat on phone pole guy wires with a length of galvanized pipe while using a mallet on the pipe?

I seem to recall this was one of the (many) sounds used in building the Star Wars light saber sound, or something to do with phone pole guy wires.

10. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I think the phone guy wires was used for the blaster fire sound.

11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Ahhh, I C said the blind man. I was out of the country when the whole star wars thing hit the first time and it was never really a huge thing on my radar. Entertaining, but not life changing. :)