1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blat Blat Blat

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PaulDouglas, Dec 8, 2018.

1. PaulDouglas

PaulDouglas

Jan 29, 2009
    Uxbridge, MA
    I bought a Fender Bassman 250/210 and it sounds great until a get down into the D to Low E area of the neck and then the speakers are trying to turn themselves inside out.
    They are not torn. are they front removal? I can't figure out how to take them out.
    Back is closed.

2. Back off the low bass EQ.

Get a HPF.

Get a bigger rig.

Changing speakers will not do anything for you unless you broke them already, even then you are back to square one.

AstroSonic and MCF like this.
  3. PaulDouglas

PaulDouglas

Jan 29, 2009
    Uxbridge, MA
    Hi, thanx,
    Backing off the low EQ and/or Brightening the high end did nothing. I'm trying to downsize from my big-rig. Don't know what a HPF is.

4. High pass filter. Always in the news.

5. PaulDouglas

PaulDouglas

Jan 29, 2009
    Uxbridge, MA

Thanx again.

6. If EQ didn't help they're worth checking,
    a closed box should be front loaded.

Have a look at the High Pass Filter/Low Pass Filter Mega Thread to learn about that care of Stumbo.

7. At a jam I played through a Rumble 350 2x10. I wasn’t expecting much but the darn thing filled to room and handled the low B of my six string with ease. You might want to try one out. On a side note I’ve never liked anything that Fender put out with a Bassman label.

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    If the amp looks like this
    upload_2018-12-8_16-45-0.
    The grills comes off and the speakers come out the front. I guess you could confirm the speakers are OEM. You could check for polarity without taking the speakers out. Unplug the speaker jack from the back of the amp, and short a 9V battery momentarily across the tip and ring of the 1/4" plug. Both speaker cones should move in the same direction.

You probably need more performance than this amp speaker/combo is capable off. You could try a more efficient extension speaker.

I did a little research (see attached manual) FYI: The amp is rated for a 4 ohm minimum load, but the internal speakers are already connected to give a 4 ohm load...So unfortunately you can't safely run an extension speaker without disconnecting the internal speakers.

Attached Files:

tradernick likes this.
  9. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    @Stumbo can explain in 1000 words or less :D

Stumbo likes this.
  10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Unless your speakers are already toast.

Here you go:
    IME, a HPF (high pass filter):

1) helps deals with boomy venue and/or stage acoustics (like putting your rig on a stand or a pad, which I also recommend, to disconnect from stage)

2) decreases speaker "floppyness" by reducing mechanical movement, especially in ported cabs. Still, it works for sealed cabs too.

3) Protects speakers from transient spikes

4) Keeps your amp from working so hard and gives more headroom by cutting unneeded frequencies (below port tuning or speaker range) from being amplified.

5) Can help balance string to string volume

6) Better stage volume and clarity

7) Allows your bass amp tone control(s) to boost or cut frequencies that matter. If you add a LPF (low pass filter), depending on your style, you can tame the highs as well.

8) Allows you to control what you send to the FOH mixing board. Why send mud to the FOH? Same for LPF.

9) Helps keep your rig from stepping on the kick drum's slot

10) Can also be used by guitar and keyboard players to cut their low-end incursions into bass guitar territory

11) Helps you sit in the mix better because your rig is not reproducing muddy and/or non-hearable lows even if it sounds good on stage

12) Allows your passive or active bass guitar tone controls to be more effective

13) Will help control 5 and 6 string and other down-tuning basses low frequencies and help your rig go louder and sound clearer and cleaner

14) Controls and protects speakers from effects that produce sub-octave tones. Can also improve sub-octave tracking along with improving the tone of effects that produce too much low and mid-lows, especially distortion effects. Some pedals come with an HPF and some come with an internal splitter that creates both distortion and clean, allowing you to blend both for best effect before outputting to your amp.

15) Also known as a low-cut filter, rumble filter or sub-sonic filter, it could also be called an anti-distortion filter or equalizer. It cuts low frequencies your speakers can't reproduce or reproduce well.

@agedhorse has included an adjustable one in current top-of-line Mesa amps. Gotta mean something!

Some amps come with a built-in, fixed frequency HPF that may or may not be documented. Contact the manufacturer for more info.

FYI, I use the Broughton Audio adjustable, always-on HPF.

+1 See the HPF mega thread for more info.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  11. SteveBass5

SteveBass5 It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I just dove into the world of hpf. Let me tell you how much better things sound with one.
    I have played very boomy sounding rooms in the past 20 years. And i always hated the sound. No matter what I did with my EQ, nothing would fix it. Then a fellow Talkbass mem told me to try one out. It makes a HUGE difference. My speakers thank me.
    When you use a hpf you can adjust the low rumble frequencies out. You will be able to hear yourself better and for your purpose from this thread. Save your speakers life.

gitfiddl and brianmharrison like this.
  12. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    HPF might be worth a try (I use one) but honestly I wouldn't expect much from this Fender Combo. They date back quite a ways and have been superceded by newer designs (Rumble). Probably ok for a home practice amp but probably not too much more. I assume that you bought it used???

13. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Back off the low eq more.
    Messing with the upper frequencies won’t address your problem.

14. SteveBass5

SteveBass5 It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Im using the Broughton as well but, its the one you can turn off. I really dont see myself shutting it off.

Stumbo likes this.
  15. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    As well as the

subwayPlus-preamp-front.

SteveBass5 and Stumbo like this.
  16. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Not enough knobs or switches.

murphy and BadExample like this.
  17. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Before rushing out to buy an HPF it would be as well to check what the amp does. My Fender BXR300 from the late 80s or early 90s had a built in HPF. Its not mentioned in any documentation I've ever seen and I was quite unaware of it until I was doing some speaker testing and the charts made it obvious that was part of the voicing.

murphy likes this.
  18. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If your bass is pushing the drivers that hard you've got to turn the volume down or adjust the problem frequencies out of your sound.

Maybe it's a set up problem. Is the E string touching the frets or pickup when you play? Do you get this problem with other basses?

19. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    no combo would do this as designed....it is either faulty...or you are pushing it too hard

CapnSev and -Asdfgh- like this.
  20. PaulDouglas

PaulDouglas

Jan 29, 2009
    Uxbridge, MA

That is exactly the one.
    Thank you for taking the time to load up an OM.
    I had all the screws out of the speaker but the dang thing wouldn't move. That steal ring around it didn't help me much either.
    Volume doesn't change the sound it makes in that lower register. I jumped at it because I'm trying to downsize from my 410 Half Rig for the smaller venues.
    I wondered if the speakers had absorbed moisture in a damp environment.
    I guess I should try a little more muscle in removing the speaker(s). Of course. that cab is 4 ohm (so I can add an extension) so I cant run the head through that other cab.

Wasnex likes this.