Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

blazers for a band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Elia, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Elia

Elia

Apr 12, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Hello,

I play bass in a jazz quartet of high schoolers, and we were playing at a guy's 80th birthday party today and got a suggestion that we should all get matching suits or blazers for gigs like that, and I was thinking about it. Would it be hokey enough to look cool, or would it just be a waste of money? It seems like if it's worthwhile, it will be an atmosphere thing, a thing that nobody notices if it's not there, but having it will make it even better. What do you guys think?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Maybe clown suits? Or matching "We're here to **** your daughters" T shirts?

Out in the real world you don't need to worry about this. General clubdate/jazz casual you need:

1. A dark suit - generally everybody opts for black, just cause. But dark blue, dark charcoal grey would be OK.
    2. A tux - for those gigs that pay above $250. Or concerts or backing up a singer or bar mitzvah/wedding/awards ceremony etc.

Every once in a great while you get a gig where they want you to wear a Black jacket and khaki pants or a dark blue jacket and grey pants or crap like that. So black sportscoat, dark blue sports coat, and pretty much any pair of pants you could get at Gap or Eddie Bauer and you're set.

Similar, not matching.

Who made the suggestion?

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I'm thinking the T-shirts should say " . . . granddaughters."

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think it's ridiculous that someone would suggest to high schoolers that they buy matching suits or jackets for one gig. You should look nice, but you can accomplish that with suits you already own or even a nice dress shirt with black pants. Spending money on matching suits when you're high school kids is expensive and unnecessary. Take that money you'd spend on a suit, and put it toward your college education. Well, most of it. Take a little bit of the money and buy a muzzle for the butthead who suggested it. Or tell that person that he/she can buy you suits if they want you in suits so bad.

Ed's idea of the "We're here to **** your daughters" T-shirts isn't bad, either ;)

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Y'all take a breath and remember where this old ****er is coming from. Back in his day, this is what bands did. Has no one here played a big band gig where your showed up in black pants and a white shirt and grabbed your jacket and tie off'n a rack before you played? This is classic old-school ****. I'm not recommending that they buy the jackets, but have some patience for a guy trying to help out some kids -- even if is suggestion is as out of date as poodle skirts.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You're probably younger than I am...

7. From the original post, I'm not sure if the issue is (a) looking the same or (b) looking cool (or maybe a little of both!). If you're seeking a cheap way to look alike, I have one group that simply wears black pants, black shoes and either a white or black shirt (we alternate). If you want to look cool - or at least appropriate - I think Ed's first post has it covered.

8. Elia

Elia

Apr 12, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Our drummer's Aunt somebody got us the gig, and she brought this guy over. He was some "great jazz musician" i guess, but he just seemed like an old guy; we saw Bud Shank at the Louisville jazz festival earlier this year when we went, and he had an "old jazzer" vibe that this guy didn't have.

I didn't realize this was an idea of such distaste. We hadn't been thinking of whole suits, but just $35 red blazers or something. It wouldn't be such a big investment. If it's not a "real world" thing, then we won't do it; and I get what Ed Fuqua was saying about generally neutral colored suits; I just remember having seen a bunch of old pictures of Charlie Parker and Charles Mingus wearing green suits and orange suits, and I've seen big bands with those jackets and ties Ray Parker was talking about.

Well, thanks for the advice. Any other recommendations on either things to buy for a quartet for $150 or good things I could do with $35? I was thinking I might get a quiver but I don't really do much arco playing.

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Business cards, demo CD, web site.

10. Hell yes! Back in my day...HA!! the first sign of success was the band that had uniforms. At least obnoxious coats and ties.
    What's wrong with poodle skirts? I wear 'em in the bathroom all the time! :bag:

11. That's an image I really could have done without at this time of the morning... :spit:

12. Doug, you're in Scotland, this skirt **** shouldn't bother you at all. ;)

13. Things under $35 for your bass.
    A bib
    a new nut
    bass bumpers
    new crutch tip
    new tailpiece wire
    new soundpost (maybe)
    mute
    rosin

14. Och, ye're richt eneuch, laddie! Ah hivnae had ma porridge this morn.

Still, ah maun tell ye, pittin' a sporran oan tap o' a poodle skirt disnae mak it intae a KILT. E'en wi' a dirk in yer sock...

(Subtitles are available for the hard of understanding)

15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Ah, jeez. TB's gone Disney on us.

16. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    It's a mall world, after all...

17. What the hell is a dirk??

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Elia and Paul, it's not an issue of distate for the idea, really. My regular band wears matching suits sometimes. But then again, we're working professional musicians who make enough of a living to afford matching suits or jackets. It's a matter of telling high school kids to buy matching outfits for one gig. I remember when I was in high school that I didn't even have enough money to afford guitar strings, let alone matching jackets.

Then again, I read in another thread where Elia's buying $1300 worth of basses from Wish, so I guess if he can afford that, he can afford matching jackets. So spend away!

And I think a dirk is slang for a pee-pee and a sock is underwear. I could be wrong about that though, because I'm not Scottish, but I hope I'm right because it sure sounds good.

19. Whoopee!! Even in Wish's world, $1300 isn't gonna buy alot of basses.

20. Elia

Elia

Apr 12, 2005
    Cincinnati
    that 1300 is 7 months of working part time, at $6.75 an hour. :) the only reason i can afford it is because i pretty much don't have any expenses, being a high school kid and still living with my parents, and not having a car.