Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bleached Blonde in 311's cover of "Love Song"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aristotle, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    I dont know if anyone else has seen the video but I'm almost certain that P-Nut is playing a bleached blonde. I know he's been a strict warwick player, however I saw them last year in concert and he didnt use it during that set at all. Can anyone verify for me?

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Can't verify if he is in fact playing one, but what I can tell you is that Warwick endorsed artists have been known to play different models on videos than what they normally play. It's more a ploy to sell different basses if you ask me.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well his normal Streamer that he uses isnt that dark in color anyway.

4. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    His normal Stage II is actually quite dark in color. It's almost as dark as some Bubinga that I've seen. He may have retired his "normal" one though, so maybe I haven't seen the one you're talking about.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    AH i c.Hmm well in a few vids ive seen of him its quite light colored. Maybe he just owns 2 different ones?[​IMG]

6. I'm pretty sure that he's using a flamed maple warwick Thumb with a maple fretboard in the video. It's a pretty nice looking instrument.

7. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    well being quite the 311 o phile, i can tell you he has quite a few. havent seen the new video, but he did play a thumb in the video for amber so it wouldnt suprise me. 311 rules all

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    He also has a fretless thumb which i belive he used in the song Creature Feature.

9. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    That he did!

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id like to hear more of it, do you know what other tracks he used it in?

11. sambass

sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    MA
    he used it on the new album, on the song "sometimes jacks rule the realm", and i believe he used it on amber actually, and also possibly on "champagne" gotta love pnut.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah yes in sometimes jacks.... the bass is relatively hard to hear until the end where its really nice/obviously a fretless.

13. UnderAGlassMoon

UnderAGlassMoon

Feb 4, 2004
    I'm almost positive that'd be a bleached Thumb, check out the inlay. Looks like the "Mountain" inlay on the blondes. Beautiful bass. :hyper:

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :confused: wait a minute here....

this about BASSES not BASSISTS

:bassist: moved

15. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    here's a pic from a year or two ago with him and at least some of his basses..... usually uses Streamer stage IIs, but I've also seen him use a corvette and a fretless thumb.

16. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The Stage II on the left in the picture is/was his main one, and as you can see, it's almost as dark as his Thumb fretless. I'm sure he's not playing it too much anymore. I believe it's about 12 years old now.

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    If it is the Bleached Blonde, it IS a very nice instrument. The body is flamed maple -capped swamp ash, so it's very light. Also the finish feels organic and silky, combined with the light weight it the instrument has a feel of it's own, just great.

18. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    all true, but it has soap bar pups, I say it's a custom...

BTW- that cover sucks! P-Nut is WAY over doing it!

19. Are you sure that those are soaps? They sure look like the regular jazz pups to me. Either way, warwick will put in any kind of pickups you want.

20. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I think it's just a normal thumb Bleached Blonde that he is playing, because if you look closely, you can see the setting sun position markers and the headstock is a light color. I'm pretty sure that the bass has normal MEC gold jazz pickups, but I'm not positive...