Bleah... My freakin' band....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Let's see now. We hardly talk... Our practices are getting shorter and shorter... it looks like none of my tunes are making the cut for the demo... I am honestly wondring if I have anything at all in common with these guys personally or musically...

So why am I still in this band???
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Having once been through this same thing myself, I can tell you that these are signs that things aren't going too well between you and the band. However, I'll add that the problem may not have anything to do with you and have everything to do with them.
  3. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I give up. Why are you?

There are more bands looking for bassists than there are bassists looking for bands.

If you have became progressively dissatisfied, chances are you will become more dissatisfied than you are now.

Why not say to the band what you have said in this post? Make sure they know you're not happy. They may just straighten up. If not, resign.

What do you have to lose?

4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks for your thoughts guys... I emailed my singer tonight:

Howdy XXXXXXX,

After todays practice I have been thinking about stuff. I have been worried about it, on and off for a while now... but before have generally dismissed it as me just being neurotic. But I don't think that's the case any more.

I think I am growing musically in a different direction that you guys are. I also really want to communicate more with the band, and they don't seem to need or want that. The fact that no one has taken the time to review any of my material in the last couple of weeks has got to mean something. One posibility would be that they are not taking all this very seriously. I wouldn't dig that too much, because I can really visualize the music industry eventually being my full time occupation. But that doesn't happen on autopilot. Another posibility is that they don't take me seriously... That of course would be a problem for me. It could be that they don't dig the music that I have been writing. That's totally cool, because everyone is entitled to their musical taste! But if that's the case, I am wasting everyones time... And I need to partner up with musicians that are as serious as I am, and are more in the same genre as I am.

You three definately mesh real well. I hate being the odd man out... But that seems to be the case. So, I believe that I am better off, bowing out. This should be better for CounterPush because there won't be two Alpha personalities pushing in different directions. And better for me because I can continue to discover my musical voice with my music teacher, while writing music exactly as I like, and not have to stress over wondering if anyone has listened to it yet, if anyone likes it, etc etc...

I know this is a bad time, so I would definately not leave you hanging. If you need me to, I would definately be happy to play bass for you through Sept, and for your demo (or even longer if you need that).

Take care,

5. Very righteous and very professional. I hope everything works out for you, whichever way things do turn out.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Are you absolutely sure your music doesn't suck? Just curious.
  7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Nope, I am definately not sure. :p But, how can I ever find out how much it sucks if I am in a band that doesn't communicate with me. ;)
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Thanks a bunch. I have been riding this wagon a while now, and it's been a big relief to get it off my chest. :)
  9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  10. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    I was in a band with a friend of mine. Things were going ok for a while, then the direction of the band changed a bit when we changed guitar players. After a short period of time the guitar player was basically leading the band, deciding what we should play, and so on. We didnt see eye to eye on some things, and it felt like I was constantly banging my head against the wall. I hung on much longer than I should have, because I didnt want to disappoint my friend, whos musical tastes were much closer to the guitar players than mine. I finally quit, and it was the best thing I have ever done. I got into a new band, we all have basically the same taste in music, and the same idea of were the band should go. We always have fun playing together, no arguments, which was not the case with the other band.
    My lesson learned, I knew I had to leave that band long before I actually did. I will never make that mistake again.
  11. Great letter and extremely courteous and professional. You’re being a stand-up guy and they have to respect that. Good luck finding something more in line with what you want to do. The nosy part of me would be really curious to see what kind of response you got.
  12. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    ah, munji. you so fuuuunny,

Bands come and go all the time..
    Just dont punnish yourself atall for the lazyness of everyone else.
    I look at each band as valuable experience for when im if i ever have to part ways with one i feel as if ive got something out of the deal...unlike the lazy ****s i left behind...

good luck mate.

Watch the language, pff!
  13. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Hi guys,

I had a long talk with my singer and we worked out my grievances. It felt good to get my frustrations out in the open and worked out. Thanks very much for your advice and help.
  14. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I'm somewhat in the same boat. My band hasn't jammed in like 7 weeks now, and we did jam weekly. With the scene the way it is around here (non existant) the drummer and I have been wanting to do more covers, because that's the only way you get paying gigs around here. The thing is, our singer/guitarist is hell bent on playing his own stuff and is planning his whole life around making it big. That would be fine if

A. he could sing in key.
    B. he made any effort to get our stuff noticed.

He will do covers but, if we pick a cover to do, he always gets to the hard part of the song and says to us "I just thought we could change this... to make it our own" which is lame because he's just covering up for his limitations.

I don't really want to see the band die, but at the same time, I'm sick of things not going well due to his limitations. We've also talked about him stepping down from the mic and just being a rythem guitar, but he won't budge there at all.

Do you guys think the drummer and I should find new members and reform?