1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bleepy-bloopy chip-tune type noises - from a what?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kevteop, Mar 12, 2008.

1. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I've realised what my pedalboard is missing, and it's a pedal that will produce somewhat-authentic-sounding 8-bit SID chip noises.

Does anyone make one?

I appreciate I could get this from a synth quite easily, but it would be nice to have voices like that available from a pedal.

2. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    It's not a pedal, but I use VSTs on my computer to do this (and most other effects I use). There's an awesome free VST by MDA called tracker that tracks your notes and turns them into a sine, square, saw, or ring modded sine wave. It also has portamento with adjustable glide time. Set it on square wave, optionally plugged into Tobybear's Decimator (which does bit depth and sample rate reduction; also free), and you have an awesome 8-bit (or 1-bit) chiptune synth played with your bass. It tracks well, but you can also set it to track poorly, so random glitchy pitches are interspersed with the notes you actually wanted to play. All I need to do is make an audio arpeggiator in Plogue Bidule to pull off those fast Gameboy arpeggios...

3. B.C.

B.C. Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    If you don't mind me asking where one can get these programs?

4. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
  5. i have a commodore64 modded so i can put any audio signal trough sid chip ;)

6. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Nice to know there are VSTs up to the task, but it would be nice not to have to drag a notebook everywhere.

Er... SRSLY?

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    There's a QuadraSID VSTi that emulates up to 4 C64 sound chips playing at once also if you're going down that route. You can use Ableton Live to store a load of clips and a cheapo Behringer MIDI pedal to trigger them live!

8. I'm not exactly sure if this is what you are looking for but it was the first thing that came to mind.

Frostwave sonic alienator.

9. The Mid-Fi Glitch Computer can sound very 8-bit, but like a glitching 8-bit. Might be a little to chaotic for you. I did a thread with clips a while back

10. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Those two boxes are impressively nutsy, but I was looking for something a bit more musical rather than a noise box (although the noises are cool!).

11. jisforjustin

jisforjustin

Mar 13, 2008
    are you looking for an effect that will alter your sound in that way or just something that will produce those sounds?

12. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I'm looking for a synth, really. Something that will track my notes and then generate appropriate sounds through a old-school SID chip would be the ideal.

It doesn't sound like anyone makes one. Maybe I can mug a Nintendo engineer and force him to build me one...

13. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    There's also MidiNES, which let's you play your Nintendo's synth chip with MIDI. You would still need a split pickup and MIDI converter just like with any other synth.

The closest thing to one pedal you're going to find, I think, is the Boss OC-2 or -3.

14. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    FxDoctor Cease.Transmission?

I know i want one....

15. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Yeah I'm trying to avoid going to that sort of expense.

I have an OC-2, but it doesn't do anything like this. Maybe if I ran the octave up signal out of my EHX BMS into the OC-2...

16. Moog Freqbox will track your note and generate a signal in whatever waveform you want. Its expensive though. The Boss SYB-3 and SYB-5 in their internal-sound modes will do the same thing.

17. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    I downloaded these cause I really wanna try em out but I have no clue what VST files are....:help:

18. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Just found some samples and - in amongst the racket - there are some ideal noises in there. Sounds great!

Aren't these pedals rubbish, though? I've never tried them but I've never heard anyone say anything nice about them. What's so bad about them?

19. I've played the SYB-3, I don't think it was that bad, but it depends what you're using it for. Most people complain about its tracking, particularly on fast passages. I don't like the env. filter modes, but the internal sound modes sound good, and as long as you play slower, single note lines, it tracks fine. It's become fashionable to bash Boss, and although it is sometimes deserved, its definitely exaggerated.

20. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Cool, I might have to check it out. Shame about the tracking though - the freqbox looks to have quite solid tracking. I suppose I could demo a SYB and order a freqbox if I find a use for the noises.

Edit: The octave up / square wave signals from the EHX BMS into the OC-2 produced some nice noises, but too nice. Too warm and creamy - couldn't get that hollowness going on. :(