1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

blend option on a pedal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Christian Waiau, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    so the subject of a blend knob came up a few times today while i was browsing and it made me wonder about it a bit.

would adding a blend pot be the same as adding a blend pot to say.. a jazz bass? or any bass with two pickups?

i got parts to put together a true bypass pedal that i wanted for some of the cheaper effects i had laying around. i was wondering if i wired a blend pot like the ones used on basses would do the same in a pedal? to me it seems like theres no reason it shouldnt.. but is that all a blend knob in a pedal is? or is there some kind of buffer needed?

2. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    i've been trying to do something similar for a while, not quite got it sorted yet!!
    I'm told that it needs a buffer to work correctly, but as a relative electronic novice, i have no idea how to build one!!
    i tried some of the build your own sites, but noone really had what i was looking for.
    i will now be keeping an eye on this thread hoping someone may be able to help out!

3. It'll work with just a pot, but it may not work well depending on the circumstances. You best bet is a buffered solution such as those found here, here and here.

For bass especially, the last link is the one I would go for.

4. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    what kind of situations will the pot NOT work?

5. Well, I didn't say it wouldn't work! It's impossible to nail it down really, but the "pot only" solution leaves you open to unwanted feedback. This is when signals interact due to the fact they are passively linked together via the pot. Wether it's a problem or not depends on many variables so the only way to be sure is to suck it and see!

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Using a simple pot would only work if you used the pot to blend two fully buffered effects pedals. You cannot use a simple pot to blend wet and dry signals, you end up with a feedback loop.

Adding a blend to a pedal can be as easy as adding one buffer and a pot in the right place. Finding the right place is the tricky part ;)

7. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005

oh no i didnt say that you said it wouldn't i was just wondering what situations would and wouldnt work :smug:

8. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005

ahhh gotcha! ok... so i think i'll save up to get a custom made one now.. hah

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021