Blend pot bypass wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jaga, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Jaga

Jaga

Jul 18, 2010
    Kraków
    Hi!

I'm thinking of the way to wire a standart Jazz Bass.

I have the following diagram that allows the following:
    • 3 modes for each pickup: on, off, out-of-phase
    • Series/parrallel switch

uc?id=0B2xXmJFhy930NzFBU212S214UWdJMHVSUFFxVDlWR0p0akdR.jpg

Pickup switches are supposed to be 3-way Mustang switches.

I also plan to replace Series/Parallel switch to Mustang switch in order to have kill switch in center position.

[​IMG]

What is missing is blend pot.

I'm curious is it worth adding a blend pot to such configuration? I've heard that some interesting tones can be achieved while using phase switch, but adding just a little amount of phased pickup.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Phase switches on a jazz bass are completely useless.
    First, pickups are in/off phase compared to each other and since you only have 2, one phase switch is enough.
    Second, phase reversal can be fun but doesn't have a lot of practical applications on a JB and once you start doing it, you lose the humbucking effect and start collecting hum into your signal.

It's easy to experiment with beforehand. Reverse wiring on your jazz bass and check different volume settings to see if you like it.
    If you decide it's Worth the hassle, a much simpler way to achieve the combinations you want is to use push pulls. One for parallel/series and the other for off-phase. This way you keep the traditional v-v-t arrangement.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  3. +1.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    +2, "out of phase" on bass sounds like ass.

5. Jaga

Jaga

Jul 18, 2010
    Kraków
    Thanks for the replies :)

I have seen a lot of opinions that there is no much usecase having out of phase on a bass. Does anybody have an audio demo with such bass sound?

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I suggest you do it yourself to know if you like it or not.
    Phase switches sometimes give good results with 3 pickups, rarely with 2.

7. I don't know about any audio demos, but just imagine a really thin, tinny, nasal sound, with no bass and a very limited frequency spectrum.

8. Jaga

Jaga

Jul 18, 2010
    Kraków
    What if using preamp to add lows?

9. It doesn't work that way. You can't use EQ to change the timbre of the sound.