1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blend pot/center=no noise/off center=noise

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rythman6969, Apr 18, 2009.

1. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    title says it all pretty much. I have passive blend,volume, tone. The blend in center, bass is dead silent. Off center either way and the hum starts. All cavities are shielded/grounded.

anyone know what this might be caused by?

thanks in advance--matt

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    single coil hum?

3. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    cool avatar! I do have Nordy Big Singles but I never had a hum like this from Barts. Do they hum less. This is pretty loud. I forgot to mention that it gets much louder if I face my amp. Does that mean anything, other than I shouldn't face my amp?

4. Thump Jr.

Thump Jr.

Jun 8, 2008
    SW FL
    I'm willing to bet it's single-coil hum; on my Yamaha (PJ configuration) the blend knob has to be at 100%-P to avoid hum, and the hum gets louder as I dial in more of the J pickup. The louder hum facing the amplifier I believe is a form of feedback (which is why guitarists sometimes walk up to their amps to make the feedback scream), so pretty much it just means don't face the amp - it's normal.

5. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

Sounds like you're suffering from the typical single coil hum to me. Never bothers me since I always use both pickups. It'll also get louder next to a TV set.

You may want to go with some humbucks...but you'll lose some of that single coil flavor.

6. dougray

dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i would double check the wiring... sounds like either a wire/crossed is touching or losse .

7. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    I'm thinking it's wiring related also because I never had this with any other bass. Like I said I had Bart Jazz pups in another bass with no hum. Are Barts all hum cancelling?

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Not at all wiring related. Especially as it gets worse depending on the orientation of the bass to the amplifier's transformers. Sounds like typical single-coil hum. Jazz Bass pickups are hum cancelling but only when both PUPs volumes are on exactly the same. With the blend at center both PUPs are wide open, but as you to either way from center, you're turning one PUP down, so the hum isn't exactly mirrored in the signal any more.

Yes, many (if not all) Barts are really dual-coil humbuckers in a single JB shaped format, so that's why your other bass didn't hum.

Shielding could go a long way to helping things, but it's the nature of single coil PUPs.

jte

9. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    Thanks JTE, I did not know that.

10. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    I guess I'll have to live with it.

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    or buy DP123's

I <3 Mine, and i had Nordy NJ4's before those!

12. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    What JTE said! Big Single ARE single coil pups, so no way to avoid hum.
    A good shielding job would help lowering the noise, but it's impossible to eliminate.
    If you use a lot either pups and are bothered by the noise, you might wanna look into the BigSplit

M

13. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    does anyone know where to get Big Splits 6ers. I can't find them on any of the links from the Nordstrand site or anywhere else. They have 5ers but not 6ers. Anyone?
    Thanks--Matt

14. dougray

dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i have big single 5ers in both my laklands with aguilar obp-3's and they are not noisy/buzzeee,etc. i used the sheilding paint(stewmac)
    to sheild the control&pickup cavities.

15. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Check this out or call the shop.

M

16. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    Already taken care of, I am ordering in the morning, Thanks maurilio--matt

BTW, I just want to say that I am ordering the Big Splits because they are suposed to sound like the Big Singles and I really love the way they sound I just don't like they single coil hum. Other than that they freekin rock! Super growly bridge and super sweet PHAT neck. Awsome.