1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blend pot to blend between volume out and tone cut?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BarkerBass, Apr 7, 2014.

  1. Hey all, I've got a bass with only 2 controls, a 3 way toggle and currently a master tone BUT I miss the master volume to and I don't like stacked pots so...

    Can a blend pot be wired so that the toggle switch output goes in and in the middle detente nothing happens to it, essentially the toggle straight to the jack, full volume, full tone output BUT when turned one way the volume is rolled off from middle to completely off at full turn and in the other direction the tone is rolled off until full off at full turn. Does this make sense? Can it be done?

    Diagrams would be a huge help guys! :D

    my brain hurts trying to work it out.
  2. Hopkins

    Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

    Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Im pretty sure it will work, but I am not sure. If someone else doesn't chime in before I get home I will test a blend pot with my meter to make sure.
  3. Thanks mate, I'm happy to do the wiring just not sure what to connect where to allow an input, output and 2 separate paths for volume to ground and tone to ground. Cheers
  4. Bassamatic

    Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

    It should work, since the blend pot is essentially 2 separate pots - You just wire them as if they are individual. I think that the M/N taper blend pot would work best if you can find one, since the middle is pretty much full on for both.
  5. but with it being center dented wouldn't wiring each half of the blend like an ordinary pot not work with the center indicator?
  6. it's bedtime here in the UK anyone got any answers for me when I wake up?
  7. Hopkins

    Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

    Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    It think your best bet is to go with a stacked pot. After testing it, I don't know how it would work.
  8. RobbieK


    Jun 14, 2003
    So you need a control that works as a volume control from zero to 5, then keeps the volume at full, but cuts the tone progressively as you continue clockwise from 5 through to 10, right?

    A very odd control, but I believe it could be done with an MN pot.

    But the problem is that the MN pots tend to be a linear taper, so the sweeps would be pretty wierd, especially for the tone control.
  9. ok, thanks guys, stacked pot might have to be the way
  10. khutch

    khutch Praise Harp

    Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    This should do it for you:

  11. thanks mate, I'll give it a try!