Blend pot with push-pull?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RobbieK, May 8, 2017.

1. Howdy. A week or two ago, I thought I saw someone post a link to an MN blend pot that is also a DPDT push-pull. I've searched around but I can't find this thread for some reason...

Anyone know of such a pot?

Cheers.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    You'd need 2 pots and a switch on one, they exist but are hard to find. If you can't find one premade, there are places that will custom build for you (I've used banzai.de successfully, not cheap, but not that bad either).

3. Best Bass Gear used to have a few weird/rare pots on their website. I think they had push/pull blends for a while, although I don't recall what taper.

4. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    You might be talking about this thread:
    Coil tap switch for SR 705
    But there is no link to a source there.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i think warwicks use those; MEC i wanna say?

6. Yep, that's the one. Thanks!

bourns_250pp_ss-jpg.jpg

Bummer, no link. But this is the picture that @cactus1 posted, so maybe he/she will know.

From the file name, I googled on "bourns 250PP SS". That comes up as a WD part. This page has three or four dual gang push-pulls, but they all just say audio taper. I'm not sure what you'd need a dual gang audio taper pot for in regular guitar wiring. (OT: is there a common strat mod or something for these?)

I also had a look on the Bourns site. Like most manufactures, they have a part number for a 16mm push-pull, (FWIW it's "PDB 183"), then I guess you add extra codes for the other specs when you order in bulk.

Anyway, I guess I'll just mod one like I was going to in the first place. I just thought I might get lucky.

Yeah they've got the Warwick style ones (triple gang vol/blend plus push pull etc) at a reasonable price. MEC's prices out of Germany are hilarious. But the blend is A/C, which I usually like, but for this bass I want MN. Plus I'd have to also buy knobs.

ex-tension likes this.
  7. cactus1

cactus1

Oct 6, 2009
    Ft Myers
    Sorry I can't help you with a link. [email protected] posted this picture on the Ibanez SR forum in response to my question about what switch I could use for coil splitting. He only described it as a 250K Balancer pot with the DPDT push pull lugs. I asked him today if he had any information on where I might find one. If he gives me any information, I will pass it along here.

8. thanks guys. I might shoot wd an email...

9. thanks mate. yeah that's that same wd link as mine. it simply says "audio taper", but if it's a blend pot, I guess it's an a/c. If I hear back from wd, I'll let you all know...

update: Just found a local ebay seller with a couple of these. I should have them in a day or two.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  10. update: the Bournes 250pp is neither an mn or an a/c blend pot. it's a regular dual gang audio pot. I have no idea why wd would have these. I'm guessing there's a (stereo?) guitar that they are a spare part for, or maybe there's a common mod that these are used for.

anyway, I've modded mine to do what I want.

fwiw, I've also noticed that the alpha push-pull pots are actually a dual gang shell with a dummy lower wafer, so I'd think these would be straightforward to mod as well...

ex-tension likes this.
  11. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Hey sorry for the dead thread ressurect, but @RobbieK, could you describe how to do this mod in more detail? I find myself needing a dpdt push-pull dual gang blend pot...

12. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I just sent an email off to Banzai music to see if they'll build me some custom 500K DPDT blend pots. If they say "yes", is anyone else interested? Ordering more brings price per down, and they're starting around $54 Euros, so more would be better.

Any interest?

[​IMG]

Low-profile, too, which is great for limited depth control cavities! Most DPDT add-ons put the switch on long ways, this is side ways...

13. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I usually prefer active blends or switches, but maaaaaaaybe….

How long is that threaded section? The photo looks like maybe 6mm/0.25”, which is too short for a rear-route setup.

bholder likes this.
  14. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I will ask about that - surely if they're doing customs anyway, they can do longer shafts? I hope, I hope. Will email.

15. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I see they have another interesting possibility, too - their multi-function pot has 3 resistors, set up as stereo on the inner concentric and mono on the outer ring. So if they would to the top 2 in MN taper and the bottom in regular Audio, then it'd be perfect for stacked Blend and Volume, freeing up a pot hole, might be very useful too.

ctmullins likes this.
  16. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I heard back from Banzai, it's a no go, they can't do MN taper nor do they have longer threaded housings. Well Darn.

17. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    :(

File under “Doesn’t hurt to ask…”.

18. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
  19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Advice from anyone who has successfully done this kind of "resistive element swap" would be more than welcome! I'm hoping since they're both Bourne and the same form factor, it'll merely be disassembly, swapping wafers, and reassembly. Fingers crossed. Especially for my shaky old hands being steady enough lol.