blend pots and what about basses with no volume pot.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Feb 6, 2005.

1. don't know if this is the right place for this sorry so feel free to move.

what is all this stuff about blend knobs not having the true sound of two pickups when in the centre notch. i have heard that they don't really create the same effect as like a jazz bass with 2 volumes totally on. then i have seen some advertised (can't remember where) that have sorted this proble out and do get the full sound of the 2 pickups when in the centre notch.

if there is a best choice for a blend knob can you guys tell me where to get it.

also i dont have much space in my control plate and was thinking of dispensing with my volume pot to make room for 3 band. will i regret this? i fingure i only really adjust volum at the amp but maybe i am being nieve. maybe the first gig i have this set up on i will need to turn down in the middle of a song?! :eyebrow:

just wondering if anyone has a setup without a volume and any thoughts.

2. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    You could use a volume pedal.
  3. true but dispensing with a small volume pot to carry around a pedal is a bit of an overkill me thinks. got me thinking though...
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I don't have any knobs on my bass at all - just a switch to select between pickups. I don't miss them at all. I feel that I'm getting a truer sound of my bass to the amp, since I don't have all tat junk in the bass that I never really use anyway.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Here is a technical answer. When you use a blend pot, you are in effect putting two volume pots wired in an opposing way. That means, when you shift to the neck, the bridge is all the way down. The opposite is true. With a traditional blend pot, the middle detent is noth pickups 1/2 on. I think that they can be wired in a way, though, that makes the center detent full on for both, but I cannot remember at the moment.

Also, most 3 band EQ's allow for a stacked control, which is usually bass and treble. This may clear up some room. Depending on what type of bass you have, you could change things up a bit as well. For example, my Deluxe Jazz bass with 3 band is laid out thus: Volume, Blend, Stacked Bass/Treble, and Mids. The jack is then mounted un the edge of the body, rather than the control plate. This is a great way to be able to fit a 3 band in a bass that would not normall be able to get one. You could also do what they used to do to jazz basses, a stacked vol/tone for each pickup. But I am not sure if that is the setup you are going for. Let me know if this explains it.
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ben, you could also use one of fender's "No Load" tone pots for a volume, so when it's full on, it really full on. Just a suggestion.
  7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I like passive pickups, with no knobs..
    I find that this brings out the true sound of the pickup.
    My fretless 6-string has no knobs.
    I sometimes use a volume pedal.
    But most time ajust volume with amp. or better yet, fingers,touch.
    I also have a five-string with a mag. and piezo pickup.
    with a blend pot. works great, and sounds good.
    My next bass will have just blend knob. if I use more than one pickup.
  8. i also have a fretless with nothing but a p pickup and an output jack, and it is wonderful
  9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yes, I'm aware of that. But I'd never use it anyway, and I'd probably end up bumping it while onstage anyhow. Besides, this is rock and roll, man! Who wants to turn it down?
  10. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I though I was the only one who didn't use my volume pots. I almost always set my volume slightly louder than what I want when playing hard and then control the volume with my fingers. Love dynamics.