1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blend pots & output levels.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JazzCrazy, Dec 3, 2018.

1. JazzCrazy

JazzCrazy

Mar 25, 2018
    Joshua Tree
    Because of a nagging hum, I had my luthier take out the active electronics in my Squier DJAV & replace them with passive pots (Master volume; Blend; & tone) all at 250k a piece. I went for these lower values because the ebanal finger board makes the sound bright & brittle, & with those 250k values the timbre Is improved.

The 250k blend pot is a center detente. One problem is that when I put it in the center position, with both pickups equally engaged, there's a loss of output. It's as if the wires are out of phase. I brought it back to see if that's the case but we listened with both ways & he confirmed he wired it correctly.

All of this defies logic (as there still are significant hum issues as well.

My question is whether or not the the 250K value contributes the loss combined pickup output? Was it a mistake not to go with a 500K blend?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    There are blend pots that have taper on both parts across the whole range - at the center detente, these pots only give you maybe half or less of each pickup's signal. These types are meant for active systems where the gain loss can be made up elsewhere. The other type of blend pot is meant for passive setups and has both pickups on full at the center detente. Sounds like maybe you have the wrong flavor of pot for your application.

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    1. Make sure he used a “M/N” taper blend pot. That’s the kind with 100% of each in the center position.

2. When blending two pickups at the same level, there is some phase cancellation in the mid frequencies under normal circumstances. This is expected. Bass should be full, and treble should be bright, but the mids are hollowed out somewhat. Don’t confuse this with wiring the two pickups out of phase - that results in an almost complete cancellation of bass and mids. It’s a sound that isn’t terribly useful for a bass instrument.

3. The 250k value will steal away some of your highs. Whether or not this “sounds good” is entirely subjective.

mech and bholder like this.