1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

blended distortion/clean options

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Mar 13, 2008.

1. RBI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. LS-2

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Other?

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    I want to have a normal distorted sound in my chain and a distorted blended with clean sound as well. I'm not too sure which options are open to me. The ones I've thought of are to

a) get the RBI preamp (which has a blend knob on it if i'm not mistaken?) with that I would need to buy a bigger rack head for my amp so I could put it in there.

or b) buy the Boss LS-2 AND another distortion pedal and set that up in my chain as a blended distortion/clean sound.

or c) something else!

I'm thinking mainly about how efficient each way will be and the sound they will make as well as how cost efficient each way will.

Any ideas?

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Look out for an effect that has a "Dry out" or "tuner out".
    or split your signal before the pedal.

My example, I use a Digitech "whammy", mostly for the octave effect (One of the best IMO), from there, the "Wet"(effected) output goes to a Krank "Distortus Maximus" out into 1 of the 2 inputs my head has. The "Dry" output goes directly in to the other input.

3. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    i've got an svt 3 an it only has one input

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I'm thinking of getting the Barge Concepts VB-jr with an expression pedal input (you have to ask them especially for this, the website just shows the standard one). Then you can hook up an expression pedal to control the blend. In the blend loop I will probably put a bunch of distortion pedals, thinking towards the turbo rat at the moment.

Zoom B2.1u can do this feature out of the box, but you're stuck with the Zoom sounds. Apparently it's amp models and fuzz face sim are pretty decent.

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Sounds like you need, something to initially split your signal, then combine it back before the head.

If you're afraid of losing frequencies, you won't have to worry with this: (I know another player who uses this, does not affect his low end or mids, chiefly because it has a "blend" control to let you determine how much effect vs dry signal you want.)Hell, I've been gassin for one lately.
    [​IMG]

6. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    that MXR looks MEATY!

7. if you get the LS2 and dont have a blender or anything you CAN get it to run both channels at the same time (I think its setting LOOP A+B / bypass) and from there you turn the volume or set the edge you want on the distortion channel... perfect blend?

and then kick in a distortion pedal afterwards in the chain,...
    your only problem then is having to tap both distortion pedals immediately if you want to change from plain distortion to the blended one lol

8. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    If you're relatively close to a music shop that carries MXR products, give it a shot, don't totally go by the reviews you might see on musicians friend etc.

Also for the same money:
    [​IMG]
    I hear this is not too shabby either.

Here's another, a little more $$, But, I hear it's ok too.
    [​IMG]

9. i use RADIAL big shot mix!!! it solved all the bass missing in distortions part...

10. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    what would work better in the main, a blender pedal such as the ls-2 or the radial big shot, or a distortion with a blend built in?

11. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've preferred using an external blend pedal because not all blends built into an existing effect are designed equally well. I know that may "read" a bit confusing but basically just because a company adds a blend knob onto a pedal, that doesn't mean they put a lot of thought into how well it works/sounds.

(I haven't tried the MXR, so I'm not making any comment about its blend.)

12. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    would the ls 2 work equally as well as a dedicated external blend pedal? I've just priced them up and the ls 2 is half the price of the big shot mix

13. i didn't like the LS2!!!

radial mix is simple and reliable... it is TBP when in off... and you have a phase switch if any phase correcting is needed!!!

14. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    sorry...what does tbp mean and whats phasing?

15. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    +1

16. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA

The MXR M-80 Blend = Eh. But not so much because of the actual blend circuit as what it's blending - a mediocre distortion channel with low end loss at high settings (IMHO, of course).

The MXR Blowtorch Blend = Great. But it doesn't seem to do a perfect 0% or 100% blend (e.g., full clean or full fuzz). Reminds me of the blend knob on the PE Depth Charge, but the Blowtorch's blend seems cleaner and more effective to my ears.

17. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    TBP = "true bypass". It means when the effect is bypassed your signal is identical at the input and the output, with no loss, gain, or alteration. (In theory anyway ;) )

Phase is the time relationship between the waves of two signals that are happening "at the same time". When you mix a signal with itself, the soundwaves can interfere with each other. Also some drive/distortion effects flip the phase of your signal as part of the circuit. So having the ability to flip the phase with a switch can be a great tool for correcting your sound if there are any unwanted notches or peaks caused by mixing the clean and distorted signals.

18. bongo put it in nice words... so i will say no more ;)

19. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    ohhh i get it. thanks!