1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Blending a Dimarzio Model P/J set?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aumakua, May 1, 2009.

1. Aumakua

Aumakua

Jun 22, 2008
    CA
    Hey everybody,

I'm looking for replacement pickups for my Ibanez bass with a P/J config, and was curious about the blending issues people run into with this particular combination of pickups (only the last 20% of each volume pot has any effect on the "blend").

From their pitch I got the impression that the Dimarzio Model P/J set might not have this problem, and coincidentially I found a used beater bass at GC today with a pair installed (albeit very rusty and tore up). After trying it out loved the tone and am now dead set on getting them but the volume pots ( Vol Vol Tone setup) were so scratchy I couldn't tell if the two pickups mixed smoothly.

Anyone have experience with this set that could tell me if they blend, er, evenly? I've heard using an onboard preamp with a blend control can fix this problem but I kinda want to stay passive with this bass.

Thanks for any help

2. I have a Di Marzio PJ set on my 73 Precision wired VVT and they do blend pretty evenly.

However, as it is a passive setup I would recommend having at least one of the pups at or near full volume and blend in the other as required.

3. Aumakua

Aumakua

Jun 22, 2008
    CA
    Awesome thanks!