1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blending for Drive/Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tenma4, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    So, I've not been a heavy effects user for many years, but I'm about to be using a lot more in my current power trio. Here's the deal. I want a clean/unaffected signal keeping the beef of my bass at all times. I'm thinking a blend pedal is the way to go so I can use more guitar-ish pedals without having to worry about low frequency loss. I have a non-buffered A/B/Y pedal I'm not thrilled with. For my purposes, I think I have 4 top contenders, though I'm open to suggestions. I'd really like to not go soaring above $100 (USD). Options and thoughts below. I'd appreciate your input. Thanks! :hyper:

1. This1sMyne Blender: Don't know if this is buffered. Seems like it would do the job with the ability to add an expression pedal later. No phase switch. I wonder how necessary this option is. Switches in/out...good.

2. One Control Mosquite Blender: Don't know much about this one. Has a polarity (phase?) switch. Looks similar to option 1. Switches in/out. I think I need a buffer to ensure my clean and effected signals blend without interfering. Don't know if it does this.

3. EHX Pan: Seems like this would do multiple things for me, but I wonder how this would work, say if I wanted to say blend effects ala Justin Chancellor or switch on the fly. Variable blend on the fly seems promising. Don't know if I can switch in/out. Better price.

4. Barge Concepts VB-Jr.: Discontinued, but available on teh innerwebs. Phase switch. Blends. Switches in/out. Buffered. Sounds promising.

Thoughts? Please enlighten me oh great effects gurus. :smug: If I get me some good blend action, I can join the dark side! (Effects Forum...) Heh.

2. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    5. Boss LS9. I ignored it for years because... it's a Boss! But this thing is super useful and has replaced my VB-Jr for blending duties.

6. Xotic X-Blender - haven't tried it, but many folks here like it, but it's not $100...

http://xotic.us/effects/x_blender/

3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I would throw out the Badger Schism parallel looper. Parallel looperins, FTWz.

You get the affected signal and a completely clean signal. Or two affected signals and a clean....man....it just doesn't end.

4. Darknut

Darknut

Apr 4, 2009
    The Boss LS-2 is hard to beat if you just need 1 clean blend loop. I'm using a Badger Schism now because I need 3 channels but I used a LS-2 for a long time and still keep one around because they are so handy and versatile.

5. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Wow. Some of those provide a lot of options. LS-2 does look hard to beat for simplicity though.

6. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Ok, pulled the trigger on an LS-2. Fits my budget and does more than what I needed. Thanks for getting me thinking and researching. This will help me pull off some stuff live that I couldn't.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021