1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

blending J and P on passive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boilingTheDead, Oct 30, 2018.

1. boilingTheDead

boilingTheDead

Oct 15, 2018
    my bass has a P in the neck and a J in the bridge. The controls are typical J style: volume Neck/volume Bridge/tone. Blending the pickups works pretty bad.

If I set everything to full on, and then start to slowly fade out one pickup, the pickup I want to fade out has a very short short way and acts almost like an on/off switch.

I know JP is generally a bit more difficult to blend, because the pickup styles have different output levels. I also found out that if I set everything on half, the blending works a bit better, but therefore the overall volume is pretty low.

Any tips or tricks? Will blending the pickups only work better with an active blend?

2. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Parts in your wiring include "pots" that regulate the response to rolling the knobs. If you want to be creative strip everything out and warm up a solder gun using new parts. If not, talk to a tech about your issues and it's really likely he can put it together for you.

3. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I forgot to add, then you will have the best bass for Metal. So there you go.

4. TrustRod

TrustRod

Mar 13, 2016
    That's commonly said but I don't find it to be true in practice. It assumes an equal blend is the best but I find all kinds of blends work fine and there is no advantage to a perfect 50/50 blend, especially if you have a volume control. I frequently use an unbalanced blend as I tweek to my current mood.

5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sounds like your electronics are shoddy. Try switching the pots and rewiring it. If that doesn't fix it then you may need to replace the pickups as well.

6. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    Poorly matched P&J can be awful.
    Well matched can blend beautifully and compliment each other perfectly.
    It's hard to beat the Dimarzio PJ set in this. They have been around a long time and are not booteeky but they do the job. Well.

7. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I know a lot of guys believe that the Vol/Vol configuration sounds better than the blend control but I just don’t hear the difference. The big advantage of the blend control is that once you get the blend that you want you can turn it up/down (via the master vol) without changing the blend of the pickups.
    I recently purchased a new Fender Elite Precision (this week) and love the various blends of the P/J combo. The Elite blend works great in both the active and passive mode. Fenders new 4th generation Noiseless J p/u balances very well with the P p/u that they install on the Elite P-Bass. Tons of great sounds in both the passive and active mode. I do think it’s critical to get the right P & J pickup (that blend well together and still sound good solo).

Bass V likes this.
  8. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I personally hate blend knobs and the VV configuration. Gimme a toggle switch any day of the week!