Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BLENDING TONE CAPACITORS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by luknfur, Mar 30, 2004.

1. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Followup for what it's worth:

Posted a thread inquiring if anybody had experience with tone pots that were wired interactive (got dropped cause no response). I wired a bass passive with vol/tone vol/tone per Les Paul diagram except with a 3 - way coil split switch (pair HBs) and the volumes were independent but tones affected each and each volume - which would be both useless and irritating if the tones had the same size capcitors or if they interacted in a way where you just ended up with an average of the two capacitors. But it sounded like there were blending. One capacitor is a 104 and the other a 47.

In having played with the thing a little more, the tones are indeed blending. You can actually tell the difference in tone created by these two different capacitor values by turning one off and maxing the other then doing the reverse. Plus you get all the possibilities in between. Crisp hi's to mellow lows. In terms of tone, this bass will walk all over a standard Bart NTMB unit w/mid switch - cause I'd just pulled one out of it.

I don't know of any bass that's set up this way but it's not a bad way to go - unless you don't like many options. But it's no more control manipulaton to get a tone than with adjusting two volumes cause you tend to leave one tone set and adjust the other.

I was suprised nobody has experienced this or had comment. But it definetly strikes me as something useful.

2. Dags

Dags

Jan 19, 2004
    Guess who bought that Schecter you're refering to ;)

Actually it was my mother who bid on the auction for me and she's been passing on the info you've discussed with her via email. I realized you were the seller in the "show your cheapo" bass thread. pretty funny :D

Anyway, the work you've done on the bass is very interesting and I'm looking forward to receiving it very much. I have a buddy who bought a new Schecter Stiletto Elite 4 for about $600 and he's going to flip out when he finds out how much I scored this one for.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I was suprised nobody has experienced this or had comment. But it definetly strikes me as something useful.

I guess I responded to a similar thread, not yours, but I've wired plenty of guitars like this over the years. Using different value volume pots can be cool as well. Glad it worked out well for you. Personally, I prefer the NTMB, or no tone controls onboard at all in my particular basses, but I think your setup would work really well for, say, a P-J configuration.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Well congrats for a fact. Coast to coast just a stone throw these days eh? Well, if you're half as impressed as I was, you'll be elated.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Man, I was beginning to wonder. Yep, until recently, all I'd done was PJs. And I'm actually wiring my passive stuff I'm keeping with just volume, although I've played around a little with switching in the process. Recent mods to my other basses are allowing me to cut my inventory in half so this Schec was outgoing cause I wasn't about to route it out like the others. The bass came from the original owner with Barts, vol/tone/blend and switch. It was dark as the ace of spades and couldn't play it to anything. I put another pot in it when I dropped in a TCT and it helped some then I dropped the NTMB in it and it helped a little more - with the mid switch. But now passively it has some amazing tonal variation and punch like it's active - and just as quiet.

I've done all kinds of pot swapping actvely, and the only difference I could tell was that NTMB had to have those 50K tone pots. I was short a pot and stuck in a 250 for treble and it was thin and weak. So I swapped it with the mid just to check it out and then the mid was thin and weak and the treble was full so I knew it was the pot. Ran across a 50k pot laying around and dropped it in and it was fine.

But passively, I haven't messed with it. The No-loads sound interesting though.

But I'm glad someone has volunteered some experience they've had with this.

Know anybody looking for a Mistral longboard?