Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blending two preamps....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cougar207, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I play in a hard rock/metal band and am looking to go to a pre/power setup. The sound I'm looking for is warm, tubey lows, cleaner, richer mids, and clean bright highs. I was wondering if I anyone knows of a device (pref. rackmount) that would allow me to take a clean signal and blend that with a tubey pre's signal? I'm using a Peavey pre right now that gives me a great dirty sound, but I cant get clean highs with it at the same time which help me cut through.

I've also looked at the Mesa M-2000 which has two channels that are blendable, but I have not had a chance to play through one, what do you guys think of it?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just a question, why not just dirty the dirty bit down a bit? I really don't think you could have a dirty overdriven bottom end, and a clean mid range, and clean and bright hi-fi top end. You could maybe get a little growl and bite in the lows, then a clean top end with more than just an amp.. I duno, maybe you can.

The M-2000 is pretty cool, I had a chance to play one a while ago, I GAS'd for one for a long time, but never found one for sale over here. IMO the blend of dirty and clean was pretty good, but if you wanted just that one sound, you could pretty much just turn down the o/d on the tube side and get pretty much the same effect. When you overdrived it, you could get a pretty nice sound, but it didn't have a bright and clean top end.

3. :ninja: While it is true that the treble side of the m-2000 is not as bright as some amps (we are talking about bass here right) I find mine even with the mesa diesel 2x15 to have a good ammount of top end when you ask for it. Mesa M-2000 is a bass amp but it has an eq and a bright switch on each channel so I find I can get plenty of high frequencies out of it with no horn.

4. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    Yeah, I've liked the Mesas I've played, I'll try to find a used one around here and play through it.

I should be clearer about the sound I'm looking for. I love the deep overdriven lows, but want just a little more clearity in my upper mids and treble.

Thanks again,
    Matt

5. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    If you back off your preamp and still have the same problem, changing pres might help, but I think it sounds like you might want to look at your speaker setup as well.

my $.02

6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    sansamp RBI has a "blend" control which will let you do exactly that.. blend your bass's tone with the sansamp setting..

7. Or you could get a crossover and a mini 4 channel mixer, you could then send each frequency to its own preamp and then to its own amp, or using the mixer blend them into one poweramp.

8. Opas

Opas

Aug 1, 2004
    Harrisburg, PA
    A Rane MLM-42 mic/line mixer is a one space rack unit that does what you're looking for.