Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blew my 1st speaker ( 2 of 'em actually )

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danm, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Kinda bummed right now... Was at the music shop where I bought it this morning & the manager ( friend of mine ) asks me how it's going.. I tell him fine...

When I got home I plugged it in to test a cable that I wasn't sure was working or not & got nothing, tried another cable ( brand new ) same......

Rang the manager & he said to bring it right in... We got it on the bench & the tech went over it... 2 blown eminence Delta-10's....

Had to go into work so left it with them... Am waiting to hear what sort of delay/cost etc is going to be involved.....

Don't know what caused it... Have only used it for 1 gig...

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well you havent told us what the cabinet/speakers were rated for, what the ohms of the cabinet was, and what kind of head and what wattage it puts into 4 ohms and 8 ohms is. You can usually hear when speakers are about to blow as they start to distort pretty badly. Speakers blow when they get overdriven. A lot of guys (myself included) use amps that are rated for more watts than our cabinets can handle for headroom, but we're careful to listen to them and not overdrive them. Amps with lower wattage "clip" easier and when that happens they can put out double their rated wattage or so in a nasty distorted way. If you have an amp that can put out 400 watts and a speaker that can take 400 watts and you clip the amp pretty consistently you can fry the speaker pretty quick. At a loud gig you might not notice the distortion until it's too late.

3. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Sorry, not thinking clearly.....

400w @ 4 Ohms amp ( I'm told this is a fairly conservative rating for this head ).

2x12 8 ohm cab 400 RMS
    4x10 8 ohm cab 600 RMS

Didn't recall hearing anything distorting at the last gig.. Had the pre on about 4 & the post was about the same ( 4-5 ). The tech said the coils were not fried or anything, they were just open circuits..

Very frustrating.. Especially as he doesn't have any replacement delta's ( he thought about putting Gamma's in but then changed his mind )..

I understand the concept of "underpowering" the cabs.. I'm careful not to drive my pre too hard ( running s Stingray 4 ).. I always have more than enough volume to not need to.. Maybe just a bad batch of speakers??

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    maybe
    it really doesn't sound like you were doing anything wrong unless you had the bass knob all the way up. But even then you should have heard something.
    bummer.

5. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    EQ on the amp stays flat or +/- 1 from flat...

I sometimes boost the bass on the Ray a little but no more than a hair past the centre detent...

Just spoke to the repair guy, he's going to have to order the Delta's & he's not even sure if they're going to be covered under warranty, says they usually play hardball in this sort of situation...

I will not be happy if I have to pay to fix a box I've used once within it's rated limits.......

Time will tell.

6. Bubbabass

Bubbabass

May 5, 2004
    SOMD/DC/VA
    What head are you using?

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    FWIW, when I've needed replacement speakers, partsexpress.com has had Eminence replacements on my doorstep within 2 or 3 days, and at a great price.

(no affiliation, just a happy customer)

8. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    just curious if anyone knew, but what kind of speakers are in the Ampeg SVT-410HLF stock?

9. I blew my Yorkville 2x10 by plugging in a faulty power amp.

A friend of mine comes over with a power amp he bought at a pawn shop for $100 bucks, guess I should have known,.... the speaker tech said that the power amp was producing "a constant DC signal".

But living in Toronto, I had the Yorkville up and running with replacement speakers in 4 days. It pays off to shop locally, something everyone should consider.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    First, get the speakers yourself from Parts Express and save yourself probably a hundred bucks. Swapping them out isn't exactly brain surgery.

Second, blowing a pair of these isn't an easy chore under normal circumstances, so before plugging in again have the amp checked out first. If a blown amp cooked your old Deltas it will cook your new ones too.

11. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Just a bit more info....

The amp itself is an australian made combo which is specc'd up by local music shop here in canberra built in Melbourne. It's 400w @ 4 ohms with 2 eminence 12's & a tweet.. The same brand as the box... There's a few photo's of it here in the amps forum but here's a link http://www.fenderforum.com/userphotos/index.html?recid=12639 BTW I don't use the 15 box pictured so don't factor that into the equation..

I played a 4 hour show lastnight with the combo on it's own & it ran fine although I had to push it harder than I normally would with the extra box... I'm looking at the settings that I had on the amp lastnight & the Pre is on 2 1/2 & the master is on 4 1/2 all of the eq knobs are +1 from flat & the tweet is off.

It was about the same sized room as I played with the 4x10 on so I couldn't have been pushing anywhere near enough power to fry those delta's in 4 hours... Needless to say I'm pi55ed off right about now.....

I rang the shop yesterday to see if they had another box I could borrow for lastnights show, They were polite & tried to help but were unable to provide any assistance at such short notice ( I only picked up the gig at 3pm yesterday )...

We'll see what tomorrow brings when I get to speak to the guy that I know at the shop.

And I pulled a tendon or muscle in my right hand ring finger yesterday & had to play 2 shows lastnight with my right hand taped up...... Yippeeeee :confused: :confused:

12. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Ouch. Sounds like fun. :help:

"Excursion" is what will kill those 10" speakers. If you use a lot of low bass or bass boost in your sound, it's possible you're pushing the excursion limits even if your power rating is within spec. I've blown all kinds of 10's over the years. IME there's only one or two brands that can withstand the rigors of the road. EV makes some very good 10's, those are worth checking into. Mainly the trick with the 10's is to not boost the low frequencies very much, emphasize the midrange instead and they'll be more forgiving and sound a lot better. :bassist:

13. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    The amount I was adding for Bass/Low Mid was very small.. As I said, the eq was pretty much flat and only a hair of boost on the Bass itself....

The only other thing I can think of is some other moron in the shop thumping a 5 string through it for hours before I bought it as it was a floor model...

These things should last longer than 1 gig IMO..

Anyhoo, They'll be open in a coupla hours, I'll post back.

14. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Just spoke to my mate at the shop.....

Bottom line, They will stand behind their product & it won't cost me anything more than some downtime... He's also going to try to get me a loaner cab to keep me out of trouble for this weekends gigs.

This was the response I was hoping for........

:hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Damn, you're talking about Pro Audio in Canberra right? I've heard they're good guys, especially with the "Pro Audio" Branded gear. Glad to hear it all worked out.

As a user of a similar head, I can tell you you did nothing wrong and those speakers were just plain faulty. I pushed my head harder than that on a regular basis, often into less speakers than you were using (a single 4x10 is usually all bring nowdays), and I'm therefor more likely to blow a speaker than you are. But I have never blown a speaker. Then again, i do cut 40Hz - I find it a bit "tubby" on this amp. Have you noticed that?

16. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Just a couple of points here. Emenince makes many many types of speakers. No telling how many 10" speakers they manufacture. To replace a speaker in a cab with a different speaker, even of the same brand can sometimes result in unpleasant sound...there are many factors to consider...excursion, efficiency, frequency, etc.

My second point is that speakers can be reconed cheaper than replacing the entire assembly. The basket, magnet, etc are totally reusable in most cases. Reconing will prevent the problem I made above from occuring and will save you money.

As you have done, contacting the guys who sold/made the cab is the right thing to do. They should stand behind their work and should be notified if something was faulty with their product...perhaps there is something in the manufacturing process that could be changed to prevent future occurances. Player feedback is very important to a manufacturer (or at least it should be).

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    What Larzito said. Reconing is a bargain compared to replacement.

18. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    But luckilly in my case it's not really a cause for concern ( for me anyways )... The box was only 2-3 weeks old, It's all under warranty.....

As long as I get it back soon & working & have no further probs, I'll be a piggy in pooop...

I'm told early next week at this stage...

19. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    It's ready to be picked up....

The Mfrs of the cab replaced the 2 drivers under warranty so it cost the shop nothing ( or me for that matter )..

Will pick it up after work tomorrow......

Hopefully better than ever ( now that it doesn't have 2 flakey drivers in it )..

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

20. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    The repair guy at the shop said to buy a lottery ticket coz the Mfrs generally never replace anything for free but that's what they did........

Got my stack back!!!!!!

:hyper: :confused: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist: