Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blew my tweeter out today. (B212 horn)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Feb 24, 2005.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    And it's all my fault too. I wish I was bieng more careful. I have a digitech BP200 and I have an extreme distorion setting , and I was adjusting the VOLUME on my 1001rb-II, and I heard ithis huge weird sound, and now the distorion channel doesn't have as much peicing attack to it. It sounds a bit more like if you took the bass out a bit and quieter . I'm so stupid. Shouldn't be playing around with a sound like that anyway. When I play something on that channel it makes the speakers fart just a little when its done. I messed around with the tweeter and relised no matter what setting, it sounded the same. God I'm an idiot. Messing around with an extremely high output distorion sound with my first cab. That tweeter sounded pretty good to, dispite the torrents of hiss I got out of it. Now I'm concerned about the sake of my 12's.

The good news is, the speakers seem to be fine, just at that setting it doesn't sound so good, so I'll just stay away from it. It's also not so noisy, since the noise has shifted from the tweeter to the speakers. It still sounds good, just not as zingy and clear as I like it, but given my bass and my premade sounds, it'll do. And it's still loud as hell. It is only my first cab, and I have my whole life ahead of me as far as upgrades go. So feel free to remind me how dumb I am.

2. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    uhh man. It still sounds great. Not as much clarity for a whole lots less noise, a weird trade.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Using any kind of distortion effects hugely increases power to HF elements. It doesn't help that the crossover in the Avatar is at best rudementary and offers little protection to the driver to begin with. Should you go to the effort of opening the box up to replace the tweeter be sure to replace the supplied capacitor with a third or fourth order high pass filter that will help prevent a reoccurance, not to mention improving the overall sound of the box.

4. Get in touch with Dave at Avatar to order a new tweeter,they dont cost too much.If you want to put a good crossover with tweeter protection in your cabinet you can get an Eminence 3.5k highpass crossover from Parts Express for $19.39 plus Shipping.This is where SWR crosses over for their Foster tweeters and they sound much smoother than Avatars.It's 18db and is pretty easy to install,part #290-602.Like Bill said you'll have much less chance of blowing your tweeter this way.

Crossover-$19.39 plus shipping from Parts Express,just do a search on Yahoo or some other server to get the E mail address.
    You bought you Avatar cabinet from Avatar so you must know how to get hold of them,right?Tell them you blew your tweeter and get a diaphram or a new tweeter from them.Last time I got a Foster tweeter from them it was about $25 plus shipping.I've got my tweeter from my Avatar 410 Neo that I'd sell you for $20 since I upgraded mine with a Selenium tweeter.Just send me a PM.I'll even throw in shipping on it.

5. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Ok, could someone give me a jot down of all the parts I need to get and their prices?

*Example*

Crossover= whatever $$$$

Eminence tweeter= whatever $$$

/\ /\ something like that.

6. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
  7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I was in my local shop today picking up strings and this kid was playing a P bass through some kind of tweeter equipped cab with the overdrive on the head maxed...I could practically feel the tweeter pleading for its life every time he hit a high note. I was about to say something when, sure enough, POP GOES THE TWEETER!

Dumb kid looked around, put the bass back on the wall and bolted before the owner came over.

8. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    lol.. classic. almost as funny as watching someone plug their bass into the speaker in jack, turn "up" the tweeter crossover and wonder why the thing ain't making no noise!

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Okay here's a freebie. The horn in your avatar is a foster. All you need is to replace the diaphram. They simply scew on after you pull the old one off. Consider this your first foray into do it yourself repair. Get used to it and you'll be the much ahead of the game. i wouldnt beat your self over the head too hard or withdraw from experimenting with your gear either. Stuff happens and you learn from it. Priceless. The model number on the back of the horn will be helpful to have. Or call Dave for a replacement diaphram and replace the crossover as has already been recommended in previous posts. Have fun and live dangerously.

10. Metallbass 101

Check out my previous post,I've added a little.

11. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Thank you Blues. Right now anyway, I can't tackle the tweeter replacemt deal because, I'm trying to get over some MAJOR personal stuff (First job, a possible move back into the city, getting rid of a great canine friend of mine)
    and plus I'm in a cross of saving for new effects (Boss Noise suppressor, Sansamp Bass Driver DI (P)). Other from that, this cab sounds great anyway. IT sounded better with the tweeter, but I'll have to get that fixed a bit later.

I will call Dave up and tell him/ask him on some advice/opinions. Once again, this is not in anyway his or Avatar's, or that blessed B212 of mine's fault. That cab/brand is a gem, and I bet anything it's a matter of time before something downgrades or something goes up, so I'm grateful enough I got a peice before that. But anyway this is my fault and I have learned greatly from this expeirience so thank you.