1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blew out a speaker on my Eden Nemesis 200watt 2x10 combo..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bajotrabajo, Apr 23, 2016.

1. bajotrabajo

bajotrabajo

Sep 8, 2015
    yeah i blew out one of my speakers on my combo. i have no clue what to do talkbass. help a bass player out!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Get it reconed.

reggie hall likes this.
  3. Jules Meuffels

Jules Meuffels Commercial User

Apr 14, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Custom Shop Bass Cabinets
    Or get a replacement speaker. And figure out why it happened, or else it will happen again.

4. Recone and turn down.

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

As no one has asked I will :)

What are the usual settings of your controls?

6. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    Step 1
    Stop being weak!

Step 2
    Find a compatable speaker, it's up to you how far you go with this as on one hand you should match the specs of the original and there are many performance specs! Or you could replace it with a upgraded one do some research and you will need to replace both. Contacting Eden will be a good start.
    Or you can probably get away with any 10 inch, 16 ohm Bass speaker of at least 150w. I assume your amp put 8 ohm into the cab. Your results may vary though with this method.

Step 3
    Acquire speaker and replace, this needs some basic skills like using a screwdriver and soldering and common sense.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    seamonkey likes this.
  7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

What to say after that post!! :rollno:

8. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Yeah... Just upgrade to a 150 watt 16 ohm bass speaker. What could possibly go wrong? There are so many of those around, and besides the amp only puts out 8 ohms...

9. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    Nothing will go wrong long as the speaker is Of suitable bass frequency, and of the required ohms and watts.
    And I did say I assumed the ohms.
    This isn't some high end stuff we are talking about the speaker is likely nothing special and I'm betting the cab itself is not going to be the pinnicle.
    It will work and probably not sound any different to the original!

You could confuse someone by saying oh you need to match the speaker to the cab and go on about cab volume and other parameters etc. In this case my idea was to get him up and running as easy as possible.

I also said phoning Eden and asking for a replacement or gathering info on the required speaker would be the first thing to do.

10. Sorry, but you DO need to match identical speakers that are sharing the same internal airspace. Non-matching can cause physical damage to the driver.

Additionally, running non-matched speakers in the same bandpass can cause phasing problems with the sound.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    And nobody has needed a soldering iron to install speakers for about five decades.

reggie hall likes this.
  12. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    LoL

The first 3 replies covered it, MrCash, relax. Your wording could send someone down a path to hurt the amp or throw away money. A recone and analysis of the cause (eg re-evaluate the settings) is the logical and least expensive solution.

Sorry for the derail, OP.

13. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    And, actually, you started your first post by insulting the OP, and didn't mention contacting Eden until well after my eyes started to glaze over....

14. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    Yeah the best way to do it would be to get an exact match but I very much doubt it could cause physical harm. Unless the specs were widely apart

15. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    Well yes and no most ones are connectors but some are still soldered.

16. MrCash

MrCash

Jan 16, 2016
    No I very much doubt that.
    I do agree a recone and analysis would be the best thing to do. But if someone who clearly has no knowledge assumed by the asking of what to do when a speaker blows. Which is use your common sense.
    I gave a very simple option.

No offensive intended with the weak statement but if your going to ask pretty obvious questions then we'll you know.

What do I do if I need a new shoe as its sole has came lose. But my other shoe is ok? That's how I seen the question.

17. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    2 identical speakers both getting the same power and one blows. Maybe one was just a lemon, or wonder how close the other speaker got to blowing out? It might just be hanging on by a thread. Could be a good idea to replace both.

Eden OEM may be best, but they may just send you whatever they have now on hand that happens to be close to the original. It may not perfectly match the original.

18. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    I'd replace both speakers. The remaining working one is (probably) damaged at best, close to collapse at worse.
    Drivers often get to die very slowly (over time) once they are damaged due to abuse.
    Although I would not suggest a none matching driver due to a couple of reasins but, I ain't a lover of fictional excessive fear/desease-mongering.
    Sometimes a stereotype statement is not a little better than a misleading one.

edit,
    I'd ship both drivers to eden service center. the defective one for reconing, the other one for check of driver performance.

19. Those speakers might be 8 ohm ones - I think the combo is 4 ohms. On those, adding an extension speaker is done in series - which I know sounds counter intuitive. Pull the offending speaker to find out and contact Eden for possibly replacing both drivers.

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    " ... puts out 8 ohms ..."?

two fingers likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021