Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blew the fuse!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lonnybass, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Scary experience at the Cubby Bear Chicago last night...

My rack system went down during the second song of the night, losing power completely and tripping the fuse on my Furman PL-plus. My voltage meter was reading about 110/112 at the time. I was able to reset the fuse after a few moments of scrambling and got everything fired back up, but this was extremely nervewracking and I've never had this happen to me before on a gig.

Cubby Bear is a bigger venue with a pro sound system and seemingly endless supply of clean power - could this be something wrong with my rack, or does it point to a voltage dip/spike that my system just couldn't handle? (please note I was plugged into the same 4-box as the guitar player's Marshall, and he didn't lose power). Looking forward to ideas.

Lonnybass

2. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I've had my Furman heat up and shut down. Is this a new setup? Was your rack in a corner where air couldn't circulate? Did it fail after that? Maybe the breaker had weakened a little from sound check and finally went when it did? Just guessing.

3. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    The setup isn't new- it's the same rack system I've used for the last year or so. It was all stacked to the left of the drum riser with almost ten feet between the back of the rack and the rear curtain - in other words, ventilation shouldn't have been a problem (it was pretty damned stuffy in the venue though). I wonder, what are the most likely causes of breaker blowing like that, especially if the guitar amp was running off the same power supply and didn't encounter a problem?

Lonnybass