Blimey.... Low action

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by -Asdfgh-, Sep 23, 2016.

1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I have a Harley Benton jazz fretless as a backup to another jazz fretless with rosewood board (£100 is hard to pass up), strung with TI jazz flats.

The main bass is very playable with the same strings at 1.5mm on the E string 12th fret. I just measured the Harley Benton and it is perfectly playable with an action of under 1.2mm! Weighs a ton, though...

TCSS and LowActionHero like this.
  2. TCSS

TCSS

Apr 23, 2015
    Netherlands
    Oh yeah, just what I need, more gas.

You talking about the JB40FL?

3. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Are these the ones from Thomann's website?

I had a student with a Harley Benton jazz (fretted) and couldn't believe how heavy it was! What do they use as body material, concrete?

I was surprised this kid could even lift it -I certainly couldn't!

They do offer incredible value though. When I was a kid nothing under £200 existed and even then that didn't guarantee quality. Things are much better today!

Peace,

Rob.

4. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Yes

TCSS likes this.
  5. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I'm not sure it would float if the body was placed in water. I haven't gigged with it (I have an old Tokai as number 1 and an ebanol fingerboard Squier) but I would consider sitting with it as an option due to weight.

The pickups aren't as smooth sounding as the Tokai, and one of the bridge saddle screws is jammed (I have a spare but it doesn't need adjusting), so it's not quite on a par with the Tokai in those terms, but it's very functional for the money bar the weight.

HalfManHalfBass likes this.
  6. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    One of the factors in the optimization of instrument action adjustment that is most often overlooked is where on the planet the bass is located. You must consider that the strings are made of magnetic material and that the earth's magnetic field varies with the distance from the poles. The differences in the magnetic field at different places on the planet will cause differences in the way the string vibrates, and thus the setup necessary to allow for the different string vibrations to be expressed without the obstruction of the frets. Generally speaking the frets themselves will not have to be figured into the equation since the "nickel silver" frets are made of is not a ferrous material that is affected by the magnetic poles. And the same is true for most stainless steel frets. Though some stainless steel is affected by magnetism, the type used in fret wire usually isn't so we can generally ignore the frets.

So an optimum setup in Sweden will be quite different from one in Puerto Rico, and probably more akin to one in Patagonia (the poles exhibit similar magnetic behaviours). But one concern is that the extremes (south vs north) have different polarities and as far as I know no one has investigated the effects of opposite polarities on the instrument's setup.

And if you think I'm pulling your leg, I'm not. I don't have the app for that.

Silly Saturday Night.
    But I'm not going to apologize for having some fun.

FenderTuni and Tbone76 like this.
  7. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    I wanna know what you drink Saturday nights and where in Europe I might buy me a barrel? :D

Peace,

Rob.

PS You just made me check if my stainless frets are magnetic......and they aren't!?!

Tbone76 likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021