1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blind Bass testing day

Discussion in 'Social Events and Get Togethers [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    No clue how to organize this, nor do I think I'd even want to... but this idea popped into my head from another thread.

Imagine getting as many bass players as possible together and have some serious blindfolded bass quality/tone testing going on. Choose maybe 50 different basses, and have them everyone spend a day long event rating them on a checklist of 1 - 10 regarding a bunch of different criteria.

I'm actually starting to get a lot of ideas on how this could be done. Going to post now to see if anyone else is even remotely interested in such an ever. Could be lotsa fun :) .

Idea is borne - and out there. Please contribute. :)

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Ideas:

Get infor for event out to bass player magazine, and bass manufacturers. All interested cld contribute to the organization of it through advertising.

Prospective bass testors could be screened to weed out complete idiots and make it somewhat fair.

A reasonable price could be charged to become a participant. All proceeds would go to Joe Nerve for coming up with this great idea.

A 10 point 10 point checklist could be used after each bass is tested. 10 things about the bass, rated on a scale of 1 to 10... some quick ideas:

Versatility
    Highs
    Lows
    Feel of construction (fit)
    Comfortability
    I can't think any more and this would obviously have to be worked out... maybe all basses would have to be set to their lowest non buzzing action so that could be judges. You could always go higher... but not lower. People with high action preferences would have to deal. Or maybe have 2 of each bass... hmm.. I like that idea.

Set a limit and figure some criteria for choosing a decent number of basses to be tested. Maybe by popularity on the greatest, most popular bass website ever, talkbass. Some obvious definites would be Fender, SX, MM, Warwick, Sadowsky, Peavey, Gibson... you get the idea.

I'm done for now. Any interest?

3. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    I can see one problem with this: I'd bring my Dingwall, and people might get confused :D

It's also a very personal thing for a lot of people; neck shapes, how the body sits, etc. Unless you wanted to do a "Rate the Fender clones" day, that is.

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I think it's a great idea -- have thought of doing a blind test with Pbassish guitars..

I must have missed a joke.

Dumb question.. why not donate it to some type of charity..

OR better yet.. TalkBass?

Or did I miss a really bad joke?

5. Accursed Anger

Accursed Anger

Nov 22, 2010
    Were would it b

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Who's gonna poke all the eyes out?

f99181b0c8a08048e56c9110.L._SCLZZZZZZZ_1.