Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Blind Faith's Rick Grech

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    He's been mentioned VERY briefly on a couple of other threads, but I really dig this guy's playing. TERRIBLY underrated, underexposed, underappreciated, etc.

Can anyone recommend some other recordings featuring him?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Traffic's The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys?

I put Gretch & Klaus Voorman in the same class...two really decent players who seem to get lost in the shuffle.

3. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    As long as we got Winwood and Clapton who gives a damn!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    Ric Grech (note the proper spelling of his name)died in 1990.

AFAIK he left music & spent the last decade of his life selling carpets.

He played violin & bass on the first few family albums, played with Ginger Baker's Air Force, and a bunch of albums centering around Winwood, Clapton & Roger Chapman.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The first two Family albums "Music In A Doll's House" and (especially) "Entertainment" are great; "Doll's House" is VERY psychedelic though so avoid if you hate that sort of thing. "How Hi The Li" from "Entertainment" is a killer groove tune that Grech wrote, it's my favorite Family tune.

The Air Force albums are pretty weak and rambling despite the star studded lineups. I bought them as $1.99 LP cutouts 30 years ago, I can't recommend buying them at CD prices!!!

Rick's discography is pretty slim overall. The only album under his own name "The Last 5 Years" is just a compilation that's never been on CD. He's on the first Gram Parsons album "GP" (where he wrote a few tunes and coproduced...warning: this is country rock!), Clapton's "Rainbow Concert", an album he produced for UK soul singer Rosetta Hightower (never issued in the US) and that's it besides the Family, Traffic and Air Force albums.

Oh yeah, the UK CD remaster/reissue of Traffic's "John Barleycorn" has two tracks from the never issued Traffic live LP from the short-lived quartet of Winwood/Capaldi/Wood/Grech. Rick plays bass on one track and guitar(!!) on the other. The US reissue does NOT have the extra tracks.

6. Rick Grech is not one of the greats...his playing was never oustanding. Maybe he was just a nice guy.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Last year when they reissued Blind Faith's album with a extra disc of jams, I was looking foward to hearing Rick jamming.......but he was not on it,it was Stevie Winwood playing basspedals:(
    The jams where recorded before Rick joined the band. The liner notes where great though..

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    But Jerry, Winwood's bass pedal work is pretty darn good (not up to Jimmy Smith standards, but good) and he's played some good bass guitar over the years, too. I'd actually rather listen to him than Ric Grech!!!

9. Ric Grech is one of my favorite bassists. But he sure got around.

Prior to Blind Faith, he was the bassist/violinist in Family, one of the best bands you've never heard. Another famous bassist in Family was John Wetton.

Anyway, Ric then landed with Blind Faith, fairly late in the project. In fact, I read awhile ago that producer Jimmy Miller said that Jack Bruce played bass on most of the Blind Faith tracks. According to the Blind Faith deluxe set liner notes, Grech did not come on board until after "Presence Of The Lord," "Well All Right," and some others had been recorded, so this may be true. Grech obviously played violin on "Sea Of Joy," though.

When Blind Faith imploded, Grech initially joined Winwood and Baker in Ginger Baker's Air Force, which also included Traffic's Chris Wood, ex-Moody Blue and future Wing Denny Laine, Graham Bond, and about 100 others.

After one album with them, Grech joined the reformed Traffic. Grech co-wrote their hit "Rock and Roll Stew." He also played bass at Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert.

After leaving Traffic, Grech joined yet another supergroup in 1975: KGB. Besides himself, this group featured another supergroup veteran, Carmine Appice, with Mike Bloomfield on guitar, and some other session vets. They sucked. Bloomfield and Grech left after one album.

Grech also played with Gram Parsons on G.P..

Grech died of liver cancer (or was it just liver disease) in 1990 or so.

His best work as a bassist was with Family, where he was pretty inventive.

[Note: I cut and pasted this from a post I did last August. Sorry if it repeats some things others said earlier.]