1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Blind Melon, Brad Smith's Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McGroovin', Mar 2, 2008.

1. Anyone know what kind of bass Brad Smith from Blind Melon uses. I know it's a Fender of some sort, I was close enough to read it off the headstock at one of their recent shows. And yes, it was awesome.

there's a pic on this site, only the body though.

http://www.beemelon.com/

2. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    A Jazz bass

3. Right you are, but what kind of jazz? He's had it for a while, it was one their music videos on the early 90's, I'm not sure when they started making reissues. It has screw holes for pickup covers and such. Main thing I'm wondering is if it's active or not, he gets quite a lot of bit out of it.

4. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    I am curious too. If I had to guess I would say a vintage Fender, passive most likely. Most photos had him with a jazz but some had him playing Gibson looking bass.

5. Yeah, I saw a video where he was playing a Gibson looking hollow-body when he was recording some stuff on the new album.

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    In the old days it was always a '70s Jazz with a maple board, running through an SVT. Such a great sound.

7. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    +1 and he has EMG J pickups in it, too.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

As an aside, Blind Melon is about the only band I recently recall that actually LOST popularity when the singer died of a drug overdose. Very strange as they were getting pretty big.

Too bad, I used to listen to them all of the time.

9. They're selling out a lot of shows on this tour. So maybe they're making a come back. The new stuff sounds great.

10. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    wow, looks a modded late 60's jazz. Pickups look stock but with concentrics. note the fact that there are only 2 knobs and a jack... that is a 60's plate from the concentrics.

11. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Bass autographed by the band.

12. It's a totally stock 68 Jazz, it's never had a fret job or anything. Heard it directly from the man himself last night. They rocked as hard as ever.

13. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    saw 'em in Memphis a few months ago and one thing I noticed is that it has the oval tuners only seen in a few 60's model Jazz basses.

14. I was also at the Memphis show.

15. Excellent player.Mid-70's Jazz,natural in color.At least back in their heyday(90's).

16. ErikP.Bass

Nov 23, 2004
    Liked this picture. R.I.P Shannon.

Attached Files: